The I'm sure it wasn't bird flu has flown awaz


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
November 7th 2007
Published: November 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

What´s not to like about Prague, except for maybe a keyboard that has all the usual characters plus some with a couple of zour favourite ones swapped around to make things interesting. Before coming here everyone at home said that I would love the place, ok so Zena, Ricardo and the old guy who lives upstairs were all right, Prague is one of those places.

The benefit of stazing (it's that letter switch around thing) here for just under a week means that you can relax and see all the sights at your leisure rather than rush around in a couple of days. The other good thing about coming here in almost winter is that the crowds are somewhat down. Which means that you can walk across the Charles bridge without being jostled and there are no line ups to get anywhere. The downer of this is that it may be a little cold over here, reaching double figures would be a bonus one day. Now cold is not really something that I have grown up with, plus I left summer to come here all of this means that the pashmina scarf I got in Turkey has now become a permanent feature around my neck as has the multi-layers of clothing that one dons before venturing anywhere hear the door of the appartment.

Oh and I have kicked a goal big time with the appartment, close to transport (there's more trams passing by the front door in an hour here then there are in the whole of Melbourne plus there's a Metro stop as well). Add to that a shopping mall across the road and an Italian restaurant downstairs and all is good. The little Italian joint was worth a revisit last night after making an absolute guts of ourselves a few nights back. For the princely sum of 200Chk I had a huge salmon pasta and a jug of house red, you do the maths, 1AUD equals about 17Chk at the moment. Then there was the mexican place, Cantina where the t-shirt cost more than the meal! At both places the meals have been sensational, in fact it's been hard to find a bad meal here yet and even harder to spend more then AUD12 for the meal and wine, haven't been this happy food wise since Croatia.

Being the tourist that I am, a stroll up
Loving the MetroLoving the MetroLoving the Metro

It's like Austin Powers was responsible for the makeover
to Prague Castle was in order, ok so I caught the tram, got off at the wrong stop and then walked back to the castle. Very impressive, even managed to catch the changing of the guard with all the music and pageantry. From there it was the slow walk down the hill to walk over Charles bridge for the fifth time and into the Staromestske. This is the main square where the Astrological clock is. The other highlights have been St Nicholas church, the aimless walk through the streets looking at the architecture and the ride up the funicular to visit the dwarf Eiffel Tower. But it's the aimless wonders that are the best, so much to see and marvel at.

Tonight it's off to the theatre to see Romeo and Juliet, the lady at the box office was very concerned that we wanted to see it in Czech and double checked that it was ok. But I sort of know how the story goes so I should be able to work out what is going on, besides the main stars die in the end and I've been to Verona, how hard can it be. Oh I must be
St Nicholas churchSt Nicholas churchSt Nicholas church

The guidebooks rated this one as the one to see, they were not mistaken.
the only person who goes to Verona and doesn't see the famous balcony, but that's another story. Did i mention that the theatrical experience tonight is costing all of 250Chk, bargain in any currency really.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Absynthe everywhere as far as the eye can see Absynthe everywhere as far as the eye can see
Absynthe everywhere as far as the eye can see

Jad we need to talk about this on my return.
Dancing HouseDancing House
Dancing House

Ok so it doesn't move but it could if it wanted to.
The clockThe clock
The clock

Ok so I saw the clock that everyone comes here to see
They like babies over hereThey like babies over here
They like babies over here

So much so they make them climb the TV towers
The CantinaThe Cantina
The Cantina

mmm mexican food in Prague, all good
Ok so it's coldOk so it's cold
Ok so it's cold

6°C so the sign says, oh there's Mel as well


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0671s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb