Hungary, Slovakia & Prague


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
August 10th 2007
Published: August 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

From Romania we went to Budapest and i know how everyone raves about Budapest and i thort it was pretty and all but i totally thort romania was much better but anyways.

Budapest was still really nice but the most ridiculously expensive place (that i've been too anyways). Buda and Pest are on opposite sides of the river and we were staying pretty far out of the city but I think we were on the Pest side. Anyways we got into our hotel and then we went for a little tour of Budapest. Had to catch a bus into the city (only because the metro line was being upgraded) then we looked around Pest. Once again a lot of really beautiful buildings, churches, palaces etc. There was this one really beautiful building that used to be some government building but then under soviet cos the country had no money ended up selling it to four seasons hotel so yay for staying there!

Apparently Budapest is the city for lovers (altho i had been told that was actually paris so who knows) but it was really pretty and all that and had a nice time just wandering the streets. That night we went to a Hungarian Wine Tasting thing which was in a cellar and basically they give you a small glass and you just wander around and help yourself (only to the wines that were opened but there were a LOT of them available). For those who have actually seen me drinking wine - not a pretty sight - i pretty much had a sip of a fewof them and then went searching for the desert wines cos I like really sweet drinks so i stayed in that section and then had to keep finding someone to open another bottle ... mwahaha it was pretty funny really and we had a great night. Ended up speaking to a lot of randoms and this is a lot different speaking to randoms in Hungary than in say Australia - hehe the language barrier just doesn't seem important when u r drunk and then it was a matter of getting rid of the randoms which was great fun really :-)

After Budapest we went to Slovakia by train to somewhere High Tetras mountain area which is part of Caparthian mountains but High Tetras is in Slovakia and Poland (so i was told i dunno really). The town we were in was pretty small but as u go up the mountains there were sooo many ppl around (i suppose it is the summer for european people and they like to holiday as well but really how rude! *grin*) Had a really nice time wandering around - hehe there was an option for a hike through the high tetras which was apparently a 6 hour stroll up and down mountains eeek can you really picture it! Instead we went for about an hour walk (a little steep but not too bad) to see some waterfalls and stuff and then walked down the hill singing songs all the way down which was a lot of fun. The next day only Raissa and Sophie our tour leader went for the big hike, I went up with Sharon and Rick and we went around a lake (nice flat ground) and then had a leisurely lunch and then caught the train home. My version of exercise in the mountains mwahaha. Oh there was also a pretty impressive storm while we were up the mountains as well, rain pouring and hail and all sorts. Kind of fun (as long as I was under cover anyways) I ended up buying a raincoat tho' (why the hell i needed one in August in Northern Hemisphere is beyond me - don't any of these countries DO summer!) which was pretty nice and comparatively cheap to australian prices but of course that means i then have to lug a big coat around to greece, italy and egypt which are countries that DO know how to do summer but doesn't matter.

After Slovakia we went to Czech Republic and i have to say i was totally bowled over how pretty this town was. The movies (name that flick "the things i'm gonna do for my country") that show Prague pretty much have the right idea, lots of small cobblestoned streets and beautiful buildings next to the water and lots of bridges and stuff. Apparently when the nazi's got to Prague they decided NOT to bomb it as it was really pretty and to use it as their R&R spot. Once again we were staying way outside the city (bloody imaginative traveller groups grrr) so had to catch the metro into town but we had a really nice time anyways. Saw all the famous sites although I couldn't be bothered doing any museums or churches or stuff so basically just had a look at the outside, took a photo and yeh i'm done (yes yes i'm lazy but travelling is way more tiring than work - who would have thort! something fundamentally wrong with that but anyways).

We did a small boat trip on the river which just points out famous buildings and own stuff and all this but was quite nice anyways. Found an english bookshop (i know i know spank me but i can't help myself) and spent some enjoyable time there and then of course it started to rain again so we ended up seeking shelter in a pub - hey i can't help it if that is the nearest shelter - and so spent the afternoon there and then cos it was still raining after a couple of hours we had dinner as well and then back to home. The group that i was on did istanbul to prague or istanbul to moscow so there was 5 of us stopping in prague and then 2 more ppl joined in prague to go onto moscow so it was kind of sad saying goodbye knowing that the others are continuing but i was really looking forward to greece anyways so managed to condole myself. Said goodbye to my new friends but Raissa and the irish girls think we all need to get together in jamaica for a nice holiday so we'll see how it goes - hmmm drinks out of coconut shells, balmy beaches, bob marley music - not a bad idea really.

I have some really awesome photos of these places as well so I will put them all up as soon as i am able.



Advertisement



23rd August 2007

XXX
Mmmmmm Vin Diesel!!!!!
23rd August 2007

Brilliant... keep thinking about the INXS videoclip 'Never Tear Us Apart', I used to fall asleep dreaming that Michael Hutchence was singing that song to me... ah, memories :)

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb