phase 4 - lost half the group


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague » Old Town
May 12th 2014
Published: May 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Phase 4



The first version of this was probably funnier and longer but when I saved it, it just went off into some internet cloud and has not been viewed again no matter how desperately I tried. One hour lost.



Friday May 9th



Up early for a quick breakfast in the room, bus to the train and after a quick cappuccino caught the 10:18 to Linz. Found the bus stop after a couple of times passing it by. We were looking for a bus depot but it was a bus pole. A very nice restaurant called Niu was nearby so we set up camp on their second floor to keep an eye on the post and enjoy a slow lunch. The chef personally came out to explain the menu to us and was pleasantly surprised to realize that we knew about soba noodles and red curry paste. Excellent food. After a while we noticed quite a crowd down at the pole so we hurried out with our luggage to get in the bug line-up. Luckily the men’s soccer team that was there were slowed down because the driver had to make them put all their luggage and carry-ons under the bus since they were loaded with beer. In fact they were trying to bring 2 dozen cans in a large clear plastic bag. That would have been a very boisterous ride if he had let them drink – as it was it was just bearable since our seats were in the middle near the team. Deb and Dan got the coveted front seats just in time. Arrived in Prague about 5:30 and figured out the Metro with the help of an Armenian girl who led us to our subway stop even though she was headed in the opposite direction. I will definitely go out of my way for the next Vancouver tourists I meet.



We were the last at the hotel. We got our rooms and as soon as armpits werefreshened up we all met up for dinner at a nearby café. Czech food with dumplings and gravy and cabbage. We are now a group of 16. It was quite a loud dinner as we got to know each other as we ate and drank. Not the reserved Canadians you would expect – so much laughing. 7112 steps – not bad since we sat for 5 hours of travel.







Somehow on the bus I lost the Saturday entry. Found it.



Saturday, May 10



Everyone met in the lobby at 8:45 as requested and then the jacket, no jacket, water bottle, need to pee routine began. All was ready by 9 except the bus. No tour bus or guide. 9:05 on the phone to the originally booked hotel and yes there is a driver and guide waiting for us. Problem was the bus cannot get to the new hotel because of size restriction so the guide met us and walked us down the street and over the bridge to the waiting bus. Only a 35 -40 minute delay and no one complained (to me anyway) as it was a gorgeous sunny day. Off to the palace on the hill. A magnificent huge structure that had been added on to by various rulers with varying taste. Very impressive – as were the little shops and the coffee and wine bar leading you out of the palace. Next we began our walk over the Charles Bridge after being warned about pickpockets. 15 out of 16 made it over without losing anything. One person lost reading glasses and a ticket stub and hadn’t felt a thing.



I have taught all grades from K to 8 and gone on field trips and outings galore. Never once lost a kid or even come close to losing anyone. At the end of the bridge as we got ready for a group photo we were only 10 of 18. Ross was rear man but somehow 6 people had slipped by and vanished in the crowd. Ten minutes later and quite a few back and forths and we got our group photo. Adults, hmmm.



Walked through pedestrian only streets with cobblestones trying to take photos of the younger females wearing stilettos which was rather difficult and no luck. Don’t know how they do it but I love the shoes. Saw the astronomical clock ring out the 2 pm time and then our group broke up and spent the afternoon sightseeing on their own or cruising the shops for garnets, crystal and witches. Found another Desigual shop and now 4 of us will be wearing their designs onboard.



Our 3 course complimentary dinner was delicious and we luckily had a private room as we made quite a racket getting our stories of the day and learning more about each other’s various trips. 12,250 steps.











Sunday, May 11



I am actually on the bus to Budapest trying to type this so pardon the problems.



Everyone in the lobby on time and only a couple of runs back to rooms for various items. At the tour bus on time and a nice big roomy bus again. We only have to fight for the front seat and once it’s taken we all spread out – 47 seats for 16 of us. Made Ross get his own. Many others are doubled up – maybe they haven’t been married for 43 years or they just renewed vows or something. Our first stop was the Bone Chapel near Kutna Hora (had the correct name last night but no internet right now). Sounds gruesome to think someone actually used 40, 000 human skeletons to decorate a chapel. Maybe it seemed like a tribute to those who died from 3 plagues and many wars in the area. Quite remarkable and intriguing to see what can be done with bones. As a mixed media wannabe artist I was thoroughly impressed.



Next we went to the silver mint in KH. A young guy led us around with an impressive set of keys he used to unlock the various rooms. His commentary was good but rather funny because he spouted it off as if he was reading from a script just over the heads of his audience. He came more alive when he was asked unexpected questions. We had lunch catered by some very efficient, quick and congenial Czech women. As soon as you scooped up the last bit from your plate or bowl they whisked it away and plopped down the next course. I had my first try of Fernet Stock citrus – supposedly a very good digestive with quite a good kick to it. Then I had a shot of Bertav…Lemade which was a bit like Limoncello. Ross only wanted water so I got his alcohol drink – yeehaw. Back out to walk the streets, take photos, do a sketch and of course check out the shops. Miraculously I bought nothing. Someone else has to win sometimes – I think Orlis did. Back to the bus on time – all except one person whom we shall not name but he found his way back in less than 15 min. I guess that narrows the guessing down to 6 since we have extra females and you know it wasn’t Ross as I keep my money man pretty close just in case. Back to Prague and the group split up for different things to do and places to eat. 14,867 steps











Monday May 12



Leisurely wake up and slower breakfast since no tour today. Many of us headed out to do some serious shopping since the river cruise is next and we may not see any stores. The store called Pylones had us laughing and buying and oohing and aahing. I have been in similar stores in Paris but this one was big with all kinds of fun, colourful gadgets. I just needed the snake trivet, the hand puppet eyes, the teeny kitchen alarm clock, the business card holder (really for cigs) and a strong desire for just about anything else in there. Just google the store you’ll see what I mean. Note to my kids – birthday presents from here – greatly appreciated (and you think I’m hard to buy for!) Then we started up Wenceslas Square and Ross and Orlis bargained to get their feet done by fish at a Thai spa. They paid to put the feet in a huge glass fish tank in the front window of the spa and have the fish nibble the dead skin off. They had only 25 min to get the job done. Ross’ were improved but I think he could use more time in there. As they came ut Deb’s comment was “Feeling refished?” More shopping, eating, laughing etc. Oh and we spent a wonderful amount of time in a grocery store called Julien. It is a rival to GUM in Moscow and Harrod’s in London. Fantastic food displays and the store was immaculate and it had a huge chocolate section. I was even drooling looking at the fish counter. We of course had our coffee there as any self-respecting aristocrat would. Back to the hotel for a break and then out for dinner. A restaurant across the street had some good sounding soups and light meals but when we went inside the atmosphere was a little bleak and then the waiter made us go downstairs – down many stairs to the cellar. What a find. Cool place and we had the place to ourselves for most of the time. Duck leg and goulash and schnitzel were consumed. Ross and I had opted for the very good soup in a bread bowl. I think he’s the only person any of us knows who has ever eaten the whole bread bowl. It was 2 minutes to 8 when Di G and I went running across the street to get our chocolate desserts we’d seen earlier (why I had only soup) and the proprietor closed up as we got there. Di G even tried clawing at the window but no go. We missed it. Oh well there are choc croissants at breakfast.



Have yet to talk to the ones who went to the Jewish quarter to find out how their day was. Sent the evening trying to pack everything into the suitcase – I think Amsterdam is going to be a nightmare. I’ll have to wear 6 outfits onto the plane just to make room in the case. 11,224 steps and no weight loss yet!


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb