Prague


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague » Old Town
September 1st 2010
Published: September 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Castle QuarterCastle QuarterCastle Quarter

Jay waits under a tree as the tour guide babbles on.
Day 16-Prague
9/01-Tuesday

We had overcast weather today with an occasional break with clear skies.

We toured in the morning with the entire group in the Castle Quarter above the west side of the Vltava River. This is where we saw the Prague Castle and the St. Vitus Catherdral. The castle is still considered a royal palace and thus is guarded by sentry.

After the Castle Quarter, our tour moved down to the Old Town. We passed through the Jewish Quarter to the Old Town Square. There are lots to see in this area with monuments, churches and the Astronomical Clock. The tour group was walking from the Square to the Powder Tower on their way back to the hotel on the Metro. We chose to drop out and do our own thing. We had lunch in the Square and then walked towards the Charles Bridge.

The views from the bridge area are great. Looking across the Vltava River to the St. Vitus Cathedral and the Prague Castle is spectacular.

After a long walk we headed to the Metro back to the hotel. We had purchased earlier with Jay and Camille tickets to a Special Concert
Castle QuarterCastle QuarterCastle Quarter

This is the entry gate to the Prague Castle.
in the St. Michael Monastery at 6:30pm. So, after a short rest we headed back with them.

Once there we stopped for a glass of wine before the concert. That’s when we discovered another dinner concert that began at 8:30pm. So, we did both. And both were well worth the cost.

We returned to the hotel late that evening. Tomorrow we had planned a tour to the Little Quarter in the morning followed by an “optional” tour to an out of town castle with dinner. This is the only optional tour that we booked so we hope that we do not regret doing it.

Stay around for more…





Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Castle QuarterCastle Quarter
Castle Quarter

Jackie stands in the second courtyard of the Prague Castle. The castle is considered one of the largest in the world.
Old Town PragueOld Town Prague
Old Town Prague

Old Town Square looking West.
Old Town PragueOld Town Prague
Old Town Prague

Jan Hus Memorial and Tyn Church in the Old Town Square.
Powder TowerPowder Tower
Powder Tower

This 15th century gate of the town wall built to house the city's gunpowder.
Charles BridgeCharles Bridge
Charles Bridge

This the Charles IV statue. It was erected in 1848.
Charles BridgeCharles Bridge
Charles Bridge

The bridge tower on the Old Town side of the river.
Prague CastlePrague Castle
Prague Castle

Great views from the bridge.
Charles BridgeCharles Bridge
Charles Bridge

There were wonderful scupture all along the bridge.
Charles BridgeCharles Bridge
Charles Bridge

My little sweetheart.
Charles BridgeCharles Bridge
Charles Bridge

More views from the view.
Charles BridgeCharles Bridge
Charles Bridge

Another view of the Prague Castle above the Little Quarter.
Charles BridgeCharles Bridge
Charles Bridge

I set up a small tripod to make this self-photo. Of note is the bandage on my right hand. I was stung by a wasp as I removed my jacket. It was hurting but I still smiled.
MetroMetro
Metro

I loved the high speed escalators. We did this a lot in the few days we were there.
Old Town PragueOld Town Prague
Old Town Prague

More interesting architecture.
Old Town PragueOld Town Prague
Old Town Prague

Astronomical Clock. This was a huge tourist attraction, particularly on the hour.
Old Town PragueOld Town Prague
Old Town Prague

This was our dinner concert performers.


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.089s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb