BOB's live here...!


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague » Old Town
May 12th 2010
Published: May 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 2 - Praha
This place is full of it - BOB's to the left, BOB's to the right (almost every building is a BOB to me) - some have some historical significance, others just look the part, and why wouldn't they? Coming from Australia to a place like this imparts, for me anyway, history...! (How can it not?)

Not that we don't have any, but a remark made to a local today (not us) about a cottage built in 1890 being "pretty old" drew an interesting remark - a small silence, an iffy wave of the hand, then a reference to a building in plain sight built in 1320...There is no way a culture like ours can 'fully' appreciate the history associated, the generations forging a living in and on this land. What has this country not seen? More than most of ours ever will, or ever can, I think!

Day 2 - well, a long one...Jewish Quarter, The Vltava River, BOB's, St Wenceslas Square, Old Town Square (we cannot avoid this!) Prague Castle (The BOB of all BOB's in this town) and Charles Bridge for sunset. The cobble stone streets and laneways are taking their toll, as is the trecking through the back streets trying to avoid tour groups positioned to cause maximum disruption to your travels. Trying is the key word here, you cannot avoid them - they are everywhere!

I have just been going through the pics of the Jewish Cemetary here in Josefov (Jewish corner in Prague) and cannot bring myself to delete any. With this being said, I will include a couple for the blog. The rest will be posted in an individual session. To each their own and this place is unique! The cemetery was amazing, the tomb stones are practically on top of each other as people have been buried vertically would you believe?! A very moving place also as there is much reference to the Nazi occupation.

All of the photos you see of Prague are generally around the 'old square' which is right outside our window and along the river around Charles Bridge. Bretty has gone to town with the photos and is doing a fantastic job - get ready for the slide show! We found a lovely spot to have a beer and watch the sunset over Prague Castle and Charles Bridge and then would you believe found a bar showing the Aussies playing 20/20 cricket... A nice end to a big day

Tomorrow - Kutna Hora and The Church of Bones




Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 10; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0652s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb