Karlovy Vary and Hiking


Advertisement
Published: June 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post


We enjoyed Karlovy Vary, seeing the sights and sites, watching the people, looking in the shop windows and simply walking around. But what we enjoyed most was hiking through the woods. The mountains around the town are full of walking trails and the forest is beautiful at this time of year. For the most part the trails are well marked and we were able to find our way through the woods, down the mountain and back to the town. And yes, we were careful to stay on the marked trail and not go wandering off on any one of the many unmarked ones.

We particularly wanted to see the statue of a mountain goat, a Chamols, that sits on a high rock pinnacle overlooking the city and is one of the prime viewing points. Is this where Charles IV was hunting when he discovered the hot mineral spring that made the town both rich and famous? Perhaps.

At the top of the funicular there is a observation tower and a lodge and outdoor restaurant. From the top of the tower there is a panoramic, 360 degree, view of the surrounding mountains and countryside. We were quite happy there is an elevator and we did not have to climb the 300 or so steps to the top.

If you like hiking you should mark Karlovy Vary on your list of places to visit.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

The Observation Tower The Observation Tower
The Observation Tower

From the restaurant.
The Funicular The Funicular
The Funicular

The funicular runs to the top of one of the small mountains above Karlovy Vary


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb