Cruising the islands in search of a sandy beach


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia
August 28th 2006
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Just after leaving01 Just after leaving01 Just after leaving

View of the mainland just after we left.
Geo: 42.8192, 17.1969

Spent the day on a three island cruise to some of the Elafiti Islands- Sipan, Kolocep and Lopud. 25 minutes after leaving Dubrovnik the boat arrived at the first island of Kolocep. We had about an hour here. This island has centuries old pine forests, olive groves, lemon and orange orchards. I headed straight to the little sandy beach and lay in the sun until it was time to leave for the next island. The boat was a small wooden boat and it was mainly full of one loud, extended Italian family! It was really nice sitting in the sun and cruising along to the next island.

The next island was Sipan. Here Dubrovnik aristocracy built houses in the 15th century. Again I headed straight for the 'beach'- which was small and pebbly. After a nice refreshing swim I went back to the boat for our picnic lunch on board. It was salad, a barbecued fish (which was sooooo tasty) and fresh fruit.

Once again the boat set off and we headed to the last island of Lopud. There are no cars on this island. It has a few churches and monasteries from the 16th century. On the other
02 First stop02 First stop02 First stop

This is the first island of Kolocep.
side of the island there was a sandy beach. So i walked uphill and then down to get to the beach. It was a great beach!! Part of the beach was a clothing optional area- not a good look. Spent about 2 hours here, enjoying the beautiful sand and clear water.

Then it was time to head back to Dubrovnik. Today was very relaxing- Croatia is very different from Italy, much more relaxing, laid back, cleaner and less tourists around.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

03 Boats03 Boats
03 Boats

Three other tour operates ran the same trip, we ended up following each other all day. Mainland in the background.
04 Beach04 Beach
04 Beach

The little section of sand to the left is where I lay for a while. It was quite exciting to me who hasn't seen sand for a long time!
05 View from the sand05 View from the sand
05 View from the sand

The view from where I was catching some rays.
06 Sand!!06 Sand!!
06 Sand!!

Beautiful sand, glorious sand!!
07 Mountains07 Mountains
07 Mountains

Bare mountains.
08 Sipan08 Sipan
08 Sipan

The little town on Sipan.
09 Pebbly beach09 Pebbly beach
09 Pebbly beach

Pebbly beach where I had a refreshing swim.
10 Lopud10 Lopud
10 Lopud

The last island of Lopud and the hill behind the main part of town that I had to walk up and down to get to the beach.
11 Church11 Church
11 Church

The church on Lopud.


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb