Croatia Sailing


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia
August 7th 2010
Published: August 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sailing Croatia, Was all in all a good trip. The group that we had was interesting, didn't bond as much as my last group. Alot of the girls got along really well, which was good. Mainly it was a very chilled week that included alot of books being read.
The first day after getting to the boat we set out to Makarska. Once we got there we jumped in a van to go white water rafting. Which was pretty mild, which I didn't mind cause I got to look around and see the scenery. Our raft leader was pretty cool, along the way he told us little stories about different rafting experiences and a little history of his country. Apparently the river we were on has very few fish in it because just as the war was ending someone let bombs off in the river to kill all the fish. He didn't know why it was done, whether it was so the people couldn't have the fish to survive or that someone wanted to make money from selling the fish. But basically now the fish are slowly making a comeback.
He also asked alot about Australia, because as he put it Australia to Croatians is their nirvana. They all want out of Croatia and go leave in Australia. Which makes sense because it is a very poor country with a government that doesn't help its people an awful lot.
The water was absolutely freezing, it took all up about four hours to get to the end of the trip, the raft guy was saying in winter when the water level is alot higher it only takes 28minutes to get from top to bottom.

After rafting we all went back to the boat and got ready for dinner. When we got to the square in town, there was a massive party going on. Apparently there was a celebration (we never could get a direct answer out of the locals why it was on) and it only happened every 50 years. They were dressed up in all sorts of weird and wonderful costumes. Knights, santa's helpers, pirates and some you just look at and go huh? It was alot of fun dancing away in the square to music you have no idea what was being said. Later on after the festivities died down, we headed to the is bar that was situated in a CAVE! It was massive, but very hot, air flow minimum. There were seats all along the rocks you could sit down and have a drink and then if your a little too sweaty from dancing you could go for a swim. I did not but was awed by it all.

The next day the boat set a sail at 7, nice little wake up alarm and we were on the move to our next destination. We stopped a for little while to cool off with a dip in the Adriatic sea. The water is a lot cooler here than I expected. I was thinking it was going to be a little warmer and you get a nice little shock when you hit the water. Later that day we arrived at a little town called Mljet. Pronounced Meeee-et. When I say little town its one road. That one road leads to the National park and thats about it. Awesome burger place on the water for five dollars you get a huge burger and a beer.

The next day we went to Dubrovnik, Which is amazing. The old town is very cool to walk around. I did the walk around the big wall along the ocean and the town. Great views. Also I saw that Australian girl that fell from the rocks, it was pretty bad and it took over an hour for any help to get to her, poor thing. We did a sunset boat ride around the out side of the wall which was lovely to see.

The next day we sailed to a little place I can't remember what it is called but i will put it in, very quite and we didnt' spend much time there at all cause we docked late and left early the next morning.

Korcula was the next stop, this is where marco polo was born. lovely little town reminded me a little of durbrovnik but had a little more casual feel to it, nice little beaches around, also lots of ports. Must be a very popular island to go to. After korcula we went to Hvar, again cause of porting issues we only spent a few hours there only enough time to get dinner really and we left port very early the next morning, I hear that its really beautiful, and I wish I could go back and do a little bit morning there.

The last day we ended up in split, Was nice to be back there in the town I knew. Said goodbye to the crew the next day which I was kinda glad to do as they were a very different sort of people. The boys are what you would call ultimate bogan. Besides them wanting to get there pants off every two secs, one decided to wrap himself up in toliet paper an light himself on fire. go figure why but apparently that is fun. There were many other things they did but will go into it more when I get home.

The last couple of days in split was mostly spent relaxing and eating in good restaurants, One of the days I spent on the island Brac which was i think the best island I was on. Alot of fun, a lovely little quaint town and afun little beach. Met up with some of the old greek fanatic crew.

Next stop greece.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0793s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb