Croatia- Dubrovnik


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia
August 2nd 2010
Published: August 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

From Hvar it was on to Dubrovnik on our 6 hour ferry ride. Only costing 115 Kuna about $20, I guess you can’t expect too much, although a little air conditioning wouldn’t go astray! We wasted the time away with a nap here and there and a long game of Phase 10.
Once again Laura’s research paid off as we stayed in another beautiful apartment ‘Villa Gloria’ with stunning views over the sea and old town. However you have to pay for these types of views and we paid via a step-meter. After 167 steps to the top lugging our suitcases and backpacks we wondered if we were ever going to get there. Thank goodness for Simon’s help or I don’t know if I would have reached the top yet.

Dubrovnik is one of those places that will stay forever in your memory. Despite the thousands of tourists wandering the old town, the feeling in this place was wonderful. One of the highlights of Dubrovnik was doing a kayaking tour. It was an interesting tour as Sarah and I decided to share a kayak and no matter what we did or how we paddled, our kayak kept going to the right. I am sure there must have been something wrong with the kayak! This resulted in us both having extremely sore right arms and lots of laughter. Despite this we enjoyed the tour especially when we stopped off at the island and had another swim. It appears that you can not escape the views of naked people in Croatia though, as when we kayaked around the point of the islands, we obviously hit the naked beaches and there were naked people who looked like statues posing on the rocks. Hilarious really!

Another highlight was walking the Dubrovnik walls late in the afternoon; in fact this is one of the highlights of my trip so far. The scenery was stunning and was enhanced by the spectacular sunshine that glimmered off the ocean and small red houses. It is amazing to think that these walls can stay solid for such a long period of time and that it was not so many years earlier that this beautiful country was a war torn country.

Once again Laura’s research paid off and we ate at a beautiful little restaurant high up at the back of the Old Town called Lady Pipi (interesting name complemented by an interesting statue at the front of the restaurant). The seafood was once again delightful, something I will miss for the rest of the trip I am sure. We were also lucky enough to see Santa Claus on his summer vacation in Dubrovnik. A jolly, old man with a white beard, red shorts and shirt and even a jingle bell, drinking some beer at one of the local pubs.
Anyway after a week’s long adventure in Croatia, I will be very sad to leave. I had a fabulous week with Brad, Sarah, Laura and Simon and will leave with sore feet from the many stairs but with a longing to come back at some stage in the future.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.296s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0341s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb