Croatia.......on yer bike!


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Krapina-Zagorje
May 4th 2016
Published: May 5th 2016
Edit Blog Post

The adventure begins.......The adventure begins.......The adventure begins.......

Day 1, Split to the Island of Pag.
Clutch motorbike tours of Craotia, and the six other countries which made up the old Yugoslavia, have planned a comprehensive motorbike tour of this beautiful region. Detailed planning is evident....Rozle, our Croation tour leader, along with Gordon, a Serbian rock-star, (apparently!), and Hector, a Spanish nurse, who is on vacation, are to be our guides and minders for the next 20 days. They are young, enthusiastic motor-bike lovers, with great senses of humour. We are in for a lot of laughs! We are joining two American couples, BMW motorbike enthusiasts, on the road. They have travelled way more extensively than the 'green' Kiwis, but we have a good feeling about them.....

In order to give Shane a hand with keeping right, Rozle tied a very bright flouro cloth onto the right hand side of the handle-bars. It seemed to work, and we stayed right all the way and arrived safely at our destination, on the island of Pag for our first evening. The riding times are well spaced out...with coffee stops a-plenty, and leisurely lunches. Our lunch, in the historic town of Trogir, where fresh fish was roasted over an open-fire, was delicious. We followed the Adriatic Coast and enjoyed
Lunch in TrogirLunch in TrogirLunch in Trogir

Freshly caught fish, cooked to perfection.
spectacular views of this region, before arriving at our hotel, which is situated in the middle of the wine-growing region. Day one done and dusted!

Day two, and our riding took us from Pag, back to the mainland via ferry, for a ride up the coast and a coffee stop in Senj. The temperature was much colder today than anticipated, so we had all our layers on, especially for the final two hours into the Plitvice Lakes region. Thick fog, and temperatures as low as 6 degrees C made for challenging riding conditions. Fabulous local fare, smoked veal and pork with salads, and the most delicious cherry strudel revived cold weary bikers.

Our afternoon consisted of a visit to Plitvice Lakes National Park....a stunningly beautiful waterfall filled park, where sixteen lakes are interconnected by a myriad of waterfalls. The sound of the rushing water, and beauty of the many water-falls, was a perfect foil to a morning spent on the bike. Our walk finished at 7.30ish, as we had so many stops along the way for our professional photographer, Ed, who is one of our group, to work his magic. He is a nationally recognised photographer in the USA, and his camera gear weighs almost as much as a small motor-bike, but his faithful, and very patient wife, Linda, helps him lug it around.

Tomorrow is our final day in Croatia, for this part of the tour......I'm sure there are more spectacular surprises, lying in wait for us. Rozle, our young tour leader, is a real enthusiast, who has a passion for his job, and his part of the world. He is well read, and has many fascinating historical tales to tell us. He is exceptionally well organised and punctual, which is making for a very satisfying tour, so far.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Divine intervention.Divine intervention.
Divine intervention.

Our guardian angel, in the town of Pag.
Magnificent views...Magnificent views...
Magnificent views...

Looking back down onto the ancient town of Pag.....famous for its salt and sheets cheese.
Plitvice Lakes National ParkPlitvice Lakes National Park
Plitvice Lakes National Park

One of the sixteen lakes....


6th May 2016

Wall photos
OK Jil,l we want giant wall pictures made from these images to plaster our classrooms and office!!

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb