Vienna.....exceeded our expectations!


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna
May 2nd 2016
Published: May 2nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Our final day in Vienna, and this cosmopolitan city has given us a myriad of rich and rewarding experiences, many of which we never envisaged. The unexpected pleasures are the ones you remember most....we took a wrong turn, as we cycled to the Belvedere Museum and art gallery this morning. And, as we were back-tracking, we met two Nepalese gentlemen. They are on a bike trip to try and cover 153 countries......they started in 2005, and are up to country number 119. Their mission is to convey a simple message of world peace. So as we chatted, we shared with them our experience of Nepal, and invited them to come and stay with us, if and when they arrive in NZ next year. Who would've thought we would meet and talk with two Nepalese cyclists in Vienna!

Our visit to the Belvedere Museum was a high-light. The beauty of Gustav Klimt's 'The Kiss' took my breath away! And inspired the artist in me to paint skin tones in very different hues from what I do at the moment. And maybe have a go at oils...sorry I digress!

We have discovered a fabulous small restaurant just across the lane from
The exceptional BelvedereThe exceptional BelvedereThe exceptional Belvedere

A must-see for any visitor to Vienna.
our hotel...and ate a delicious lunch there of deep-fried cheese, with cranberry sauce and Austrian bread. Accompanied by Austrian lager. Sounds like a heart attack on a plate, and probably not great for the cholesterol, but we have walked miles, and cycled a long way too over the past three days.

The city hire bikes are a fantastic way to get around...I've had a couple of near death experiences, one with a tram, the other with a large angry Austrian, who refused to give way to me...it didn't help that I forgot to stay right...and had returned to my default option of 'keep-left'! Shane has been chief navigator, as my sense of direction has completely deserted me in this confusing city. Not helped by the fact that the map is printed in the smallest writing ever!! So, on the whole, he has done a great job getting us from A to B......and if we do find ourselves in the wrong place, we just enjoy the opportunity to see unexpected sights!

So, tomorrow, we leave this exceptional place, and head for Split...the start of our motorcycle adventure.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

City hire bikes.City hire bikes.
City hire bikes.

A great, and economical way, to get around the city.


3rd May 2016

Loving the Blog
gosh you have writer diarrhoea Jill but we love it!! Keep it flowing so to speak! Still autumnal and warm here but we will pay for it soon! K and A XX

Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb