Driving in the mountains


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Istria » Rijeka
July 22nd 2010
Published: July 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi there,

Yesterday we went to the village of Prizid, which is the village where Nick’s mom was brought up. It was way up in the mountains, a very different country side than down in Rijeka.

Prizid is very close to the Slovenia boarder. The country side reminds me of something a Switzerland would look like. The houses have stone foundations and then wood frames, where as on the coast the houses are made mostly of stone and brick.

The drive up into the mountains was like driving on the old old road between Prince Rupert and Terrace, tresses on one side and cliff on the other and then add to that, switch backs . Yeah, my Auntie Barb would not have liked this drive at all!

On the way back, I was sitting in the back seat of the Gulf and did not feel so good by the time we got back down the mountain. Now I know why I don’t go on the rides at the fair! When we got back to the hotel I laid down on my bed and did not move for the rest of the day.

This morning we were down in the water by 9:15 and it was so nice. The sun was not to hot and the water was just the right temperature. Then at 10:30, the kids and Nick had enough and off for a shower and then back into the Gulf! I think that I would like to get one of these Gulf’s they look like they are fun to drive!

Today, we went to a castle not to far away from Rijeka, it was on the side of this cliff and when you drove down into the country side, you could see this castle for miles. We also went to a old millers shop, he milled wheat and corn. It looked like he was only doing this for the tourists this time of year as there is not much water in the river.

After that it was a hunt for lunch, which took about a hour, but we found a nice place. After that we came back to the hotel, when for a swim and now we will go for a snack.

Tomorrow we are off to Pula, which is about 2 ½ hours away from here, so Nick wants to leave at 7:30, yuck, I though that we are on holidays?

We are going to be staying in Rijeka till August 2, then we are going to be leaving on the Marco Polo ferry down the coast and over to Italy. We are on the ferry for two nights. Then up to Rome.

Hope that you are all doing well! We miss you all and wish that you where with you!

CK




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Tilka's houseTilka's house
Tilka's house

This is what is left of the house that Tilka lived in. He nephew is going to rebuild.


Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0637s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb