Croatia at last


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Istria » Novigrad
June 4th 2013
Published: June 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

2013, Tour de Force





Wednesday 28th May 2013

So here we are 4 weeks into our 3rd attempt to make it to Croatia. Those of you who are waiting to hear from us, will be wondering what’s going on. We have been entertaining and have been entertained by our good friend Jan Casey. Jan had recently purchased ‘Velma’, an 1983 VW transporter and after several months in the garage undergoing extensive refurbishment, was looking for some company to go on a wee tour of the Loire Valley, if you don’t know Jan, she is French Canadian from Montreal, and speaks French a lot better than we do, so off we all went. Jan has now left us to return bravely on her own back to Ecosse.



The weather has not been typically French, all but a handful of the last 21 days have contained overcast skies and rain. We ploughed what is now our usual route south coming through Northern France via Normandy and down by Le Mans to the Loire, but as it was wet we pushed on southwards and ended up in the Dordogne area and some warmer, sunnier weather at last. Having left Jan to return to the UK this morning we are heading south east towards the Med. And hopefully some hot sunny weather. The dog would not rate this trip as one of his best as we have only managed out on the bikes about 4 times and he keeps on having his paws wiped, before he can get into the ‘Magic Bus’ – Things can only get better!



Thursday 29th May

At last some sun, warm weather, eating outside and good French wine. We arrived at the Med. yesterday having spent Tuesday night at 3000’ on top of the Massif Central beside a beautiful ‘Templer’ Stronghold, La Couvertoirade, just south of Millau, it was freezing, but true to form as we descended into the Carmargue the temperature began to rise. We were in a beautiful campsite, in Roquebrune sur Argens on the Cote d’Azur, which should have specific memories for anyone from my family. Alan and I have returned to this region several times as it is stunning. Tomorrow we are facing a 6 hour drive across Italy to Lago di Garda, where we plan to stay for a few days before travelling to Croatia, our final destination.



Sunday 1st June



We camped at Lake Garda in the town of Pescheria surrounded by German and Austrian travellers who were on a long bank holiday weekend. Garda was an enjoyable stay as we took a local ferry about a 1/3rd of the way along to a have a good lunch at the town of Garda in pleasant sunshine.



Tuesday 4th





We have now made it into Croatia via Slovenia and are at an excellent campsite near the small town of Novigrad. The weather has now settled into the very pleasant Mediterranean climate we had been hoping for. Later this week we are off to Pula and then will push on to stay on the island of Krk.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.313s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 18; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0882s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb