Guided by the Light(ening)


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Korcula
June 2nd 2009
Published: June 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

We have learned that if we want sailing to be enjoyable we need to be flexible. We had planned to head south into Montenegro for a few days before heading north with Thetis, however the 5-day forecast predicted, accurately as it happens, that we would encounter SE winds up to 40 knots. with rain showers changing to the NE after 3 days. This would means 7 hours banging into the wind to get to Montenegro and the same coming back. We decided Montenegro could wait for another year with more favorable winds and headed north on a leisurely broad reach.
First stop, Cod Marca on Sipan. The food is delicious with smoked tuna and garlic shrimp to die for with a main course of Amber Jack caught in the morning. Moored just off the restaurant we were able to get back to the boat just before the rain started.
We have made good use of our rain gear as the rain and accompanying thunderstorms have been numerous. When does a shower become simply rain? An hour, or two, or a constant deluge?
Today we almost visited the island of Lastovo and a restaurant K had chosen from the gourmet guide, but were diverted by a huge black cloud with viscous lightning. We headed instead for Korcula. Perhaps we will get to Lastovo tomorrow, lightening permitting, perhaps not.
Korcula has K,s favorite pastry shop where we picked up enough desert to last for 3 days in case we get stranded. As I write this,chef K is cooking dinner and I am enjoying the luxury of warm, dry feet.

Advertisement



3rd June 2009

interesting to hear how the weather etc is going over there...i'm interestd because my daughter is over there...thanks for your blog

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb