The bestest birthday


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Korcula
September 18th 2007
Published: September 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi all. Unfortunately we have not come into contact with any computers that allow us to post photos. Korcula in Croatia was incredible. Really quite astounding. We arrived off the ferry from Dubrovnik and got taken to a Sobe (homestay) with a tiny old man in the center of the old town. We wanted to rent an apartment with a kitchen and our own bathroom. Turns out this guy was renting out his basement with a hide-a-bed and a hot plate, so we said no. He was a little mad but we trecked off in search of a better place. We were picked up by a english speaking Croatian who wanted to rent us his place, but no kitchen so he took us to his "friends" place. Turns out they didn't have a kitchen either, but only the most fantastic room for let. It was this old couple who spoke only "hallo hallo" and they were the nicest people we have met on the trip so far. The room was fantastic--I wish I could post the photos--we were on the side of a hill outside of the main square with a perfect view of the main harbour and old town (16th century fortress).

My birthday was on the 16th and Heather rented a boat for the two of us. We cruised around some of the closer islands, packed some meat, cheese and buns and had a great time. The water was carribean crystal clear and kind of warm (not cold, but not warm). We cruised around and docked in at two of the islands were we had totally secluded bays to bask in the sunshine. It was lovely and made me feel like I was 29 all over again. We spent last night in Split which was by far the worst place we have been. A stinky, dirty, drug infested port town. Soooooooooo glad to be gone from there. Luckily enough, the guest house we are staying in Budapest gave our room away (the small one) and upgraded us to the master suite for the same price---by far the nicest room I have ever stayed in (anywhere in the world!!). It sort of feels like a paliatial estate. I mean it even has a boudoir for god's sake! Anyway, we will post more often now that we are back in cities and hopefully be able to put some pics up (together we have already taken over 1400--whoops). Miss ya'll. Colin and Heather.

PS-Who knew that Budapest would have the best Pad Thai we have ever eaten.

Advertisement



18th September 2007

Hey You two, Sounds like your having a blast! Happy Birthday CG! kinda funny we had awsome Hungarian food in Thailand! go figure? leaving for tofino in the morning, wish you guys could be with us, but you have a good excuse! take care
22nd September 2007

Happy belated day
Happy Belated Birthday Colin. We apologize for the delay. We have finally logged on to you blog and have begun to live vicariously through you and Heather. What amazing experiences!! We miss you both. Enjoy.

Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1606s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb