A day in Croatia


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Dubrovnik
June 23rd 2014
Published: June 6th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 42.6537, 18.0948

We had enough time this morning to eat breakfast in Lumiere's before heading out to the walled city of Dubrovnik Croatia.

We met in Fathoms before heading out to the bus. We took a short 15 minute ride to an overlook point where we could see the walled city with its red tiled roof buildings. Dubrovnik is the oldest walled city on earth.

In the Middle Ages, Dubrovnik was known as the Republic of Ragusa and was as important as a seaport as Amalfi, Pisa, Genoa and Venice. It was a highly diplomatic Republic that remained free for much of its history. Today, Dubrovnik still exists as a residential and commercial city within the walls. The wall varies in height and thickness based on whether the wall is toward the sea or the land and when the wall was built in history and whether it was needed to defend against arrows and spears or explosive weapons.

We began our walk of almost 2 miles at the Pile Gate of the city. We walked almost 1100 stairs along the way as well. It was very hot on the wall and in the city too.

After our two hour walk along the wall, we were given free time to explore the narrow streets of the city. We grabbed an ice cream as we walked around and explored. We even did a little browsing at a flea market.

We then boarded the bus back to the ship. We were so hot after being out in the city that we decided to go up to the pool.

Nikki, Regan and I had dinner at Palo. And Kelsie went to dinner in Lumiere's where the dining team took good care of her.

We then all met up and hung out for a little while before the girls went to see the ventriloquist and Nikki took a walk and relaxed.

Dinner

Ric: Polenta and Grilled Mushroom, Filet and Scallops and Panna Cotta
Nikki: Caprese Salad, Lobster Pasta and Panna Cotta
Regan: Calamari, Chicken Breast and Chocolate Soufflé
For the table: Gnocchi with Blue Cheese and Asparagus
Kelsie: Pot Stickers, Jamaican Jerk Chicken Salad, Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi Mahi and Coconut Custard.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.25s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0829s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb