Dubrovnik


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Dubrovnik
June 15th 2011
Published: July 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

I then caught the bus to the tourist mecca that is Dubrovnik! Dubrovnik is a well-preserved city dating back to the 7th century lying behind huge fortress walls, it did get a bit of a hammering during the Balkan war when over 2000 shells landed within its walls but has now been restored to its former glory.

"Dubrovnik used to be an independent republic, surviving mostly on trade. It managed to survive many centuries, with constant threats to its territory, particularly from the mighty Ottoman Empire and Venice. As early as 19th century, it was discovered by celebrities as a place to be seen. George Bernard Shaw once said that "those who seek paradise on Earth should come to Dubrovnik and find it". Royalty, presidents and diplomats have all favored the city. The late Pope John Paul II was a fan of Dubrovnik and was even made an honorary citizen. Out of the 23 top luxury hotels in Croatia in 2010, 13 were located in Dubrovnik", * obviously I didn't stay in any of these.

Dubrovnik is steeped in stunning architecture and sculptural detail, and boasts spectacular churches, monasteries, museums, and fountains.

The place was awash with tourists and this got even worse when the cruise ships disgorged their passengers but nevertheless it was an amazing place to see and certainly worth a visit.

I spent most of the night at a bar on the rocks just outside the city walls watching the sun go down – very serene.

The next morning I did the walk around the fortress walls which is a must-see, I wouldn’t want to do it at mid-day though as the temperature was hitting 31 and there’s far too many steps for my liking to navigate in that heat. And then I got religion overload as I visited the churches in the town and a Benedictine monastery.

The following day I was off to the Bay of Kotor in Montenegro.

Boring bits
There’s a bus from Sarajevo at around 09:00 that arrives in Mostar at 12:00, there is another bus that leaves Mostar at 17:30 arriving in Dubrovnik at 20:30.

Stayed at the old town hostel which was handy for the old town itself but much of the nightlife is by the beach area. As it is in the old town it is probably the most expensive hostel in Dubrovnik, but it was the only place I could get in. The hostels get booked up during the weekend so book well in advance.

*nicked from Wikitravel



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb