The Jewel of the Adriatic According to Lord Byron


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Dubrovnik
June 19th 2009
Published: June 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Dubrovnik


After our long awaited BNO (big night out) we got an early ferry to Dubrovnik, now this was a ferry, a big ferry, so T was happy, the last two boats have been catamarans where you cannot go outside but with this ferry, outside was the only place you could go. We dumped our stuff in a corner, tying it on to the boat so it did not fall into the sea and chilled for the next 5 hours taking in the Southern Dalmati coast line.

Dubrovnik is a beautiful town once described by Lord Byron as the jewel of the Adriatic. It was totally destroyed in 1991 by the Serbs and they have done an amazing job doing it back up. They even went as far as having it done up using old style methods. If you look closely you can see where walls have been patched up.

We had not booked accommodation in advance but we finally found an apartment for 50 Euros a night. This place is what they call an “illegal” apartment because it did not have a sign outside but it was lovely and was the top floor bit of this old ladies house.

We spent our time here moseying around, walking along the city walls, once again in true team G&T style at midday in the midday heat sweating buckets. Luckily we spotted a posh bar that sprayed mist to lower the temperature so we headed there for a cool down. PURE BLISS!!!

This PURE BLISS did not last for long, poor G woke up the next day covered in bites, no joke at least 30 on one arm, bumpy as hell. We reckon our air con unit next to the sofa warmed up some wired orange things eggs which made them hatch and feed off G!!! She was not impressed. So sun creamed up and bitten to near death we headed down to the shore to head out for a 3 hour sea kayak jaunt around the opposite island. We kayaked for about 3 hours, stopping off at a little cove for lunch, we had such a good time.

After what we felt like was loads of exercise, we treated ourselves to a big lunch, then went out for drinks to get away from the orange bugs and got drunk. This then turned into T getting the BIGGEST burger EVER!!!!

Dubrovnik we love you!!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0774s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb