DAY 68 SUPETAR-Kastella Marina-Bay 002 of Milna (Brac Island)


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Brac
July 31st 2023
Published: July 31st 2023
Edit Blog Post


Hand fan cooling while waiting at Kastella Marina.
Today we began the ‘cream-on-the-cake’ of our holiday. Made our way to Supetar central arriving very sweaty for breakfast. When purchased we sat by the sea, ate and watched the small runabouts head out of the safety and calmness of the beautiful little harbour to do their business.

We met up with Mel, Peter and Alesija and boarded the ferry to Supetar. To Mel’s unit we went, winding our way through the many locals,tourists and lanes, again arriving even more soaked in sweat than the earlier walk. Yes, the heat came quickly. Into an uber to Kastella Marina enjoying an informative chat and a few laughs with the young driver.

Peter and Mel ran around completing the boating formalities. Gradually all members met up on the “Ocean House” our aptly named yacht. Peter completed the thorough ‘going over’ with the yacht company’s manager. All good, “Come aboard”, says Peter. It was smiles and photos all round.

The yacht, a Beneteau of 51.1 feet, had plenty of space with a generous outside cockpit and sunbathing areas. Below deck were comfortable cabins and saloon to relax and socialise. It was a bright and welcoming ambiance, with large hull portholes flooding

Waiting for final clearance at Kastella Marina.
the interior with natural light and quality oak woodwork. The u-shaped galley came with many convenient appliances and with the practical layout comprising 4 double bed cabins with own ensuite, a single cabin and the skipper’s cabin. We weren’t complaining one iota.

The outward-bound journey started towards Stomorska without a hitch and a calm excitement. I settled at the sprit right at the front of the boat. Jane joined me. There were quite a few yachts and boats criss-crossing around us. We watched ‘wonderful cloud formations’ develop little knowing that they would bring excitement to our first evening sailing. Stomorska rejected our mooring request as they were full. Other yachts were rejected too.

A decision was made to head to Milna to lay up for the night. All this time the cloud bank was growing larger and larger and darker and darker. Out of nowhere the wind increased in velocity, the sea became rougher, thunderous thunder kaboomed, lightning all round and heavy rain. Manoeuvring the yacht to safe anchorage became priority. Not being sexist, but the women went below, cockpit hatch closed to stop the rain which was being blown under our cover at 90 degrees. Peter, at

A sample of the hundreds of yachts moored at the marina.
the helm was soaked. We rode out the storm and with skill and patience he found safe anchorage in a bay named 002. The yacht handled it with ease. Jane and I enjoyed the experience.

No dinner out in Stomorska, it was table pickings of peasant food which in my opinion was much better.


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Heading to the yacht.


In front of our yacht, "Ocean House".


"Ocean House".


We, not long, follow the yacht featured, out of the marina too.


Skipper, and all round great bloke, Peter, at the helm.


From whence we had come.


Goodbye Split.


Goodbye Kastella ... love the mountain backdrop.


Jane getting familiar with the yacht.


Sitting at the sprit.


Approaching President of the then Yugoslavia, Tito's former abode.


The house.


The cloud is forming.


Approaching the village and port of Stormska.


The cloud is still with us.


Yachts leaving Stormska harbour ... no room ... we are about to get the same message.


The view we have once we turned around


The cloud is changing!


Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.1124s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 4; ; mem: 1.1mb