Day 43 - Bulgaria


Advertisement
Bulgaria's flag
Europe » Bulgaria » Vidin Province
August 13th 2015
Published: August 17th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Wake up, breakfast, pick up shore passes, onto bus. Hmm, here we go again. Today we have a half day tour visiting the town of Vidin and Belogradchik. We head into the countryside to Belograchik first. This place looks very run down. Lots of deserted factories, etc. in the towns and countryside. Very poor looking country.

We get closer to the town and we get a great view from the road in. Huge rock outcrops in some weird looking shapes, the rabbit eating some cabbage, the kissing girls, etc. finally get to the fortress which is built on these rocks. Off we go, we had been told it will be a tough walk. Not wrong. Cobblestones, rock paths then steps. Some of the steps are well formed, others are stones that have worn in lots of different shapes. Finally get to the top, hot, hot and hotter, but the views are worth the effort. A little like the Blue Mountains with some of the rock formations. Pics, looking here and there, then we have to go back down. Interesting in slippery thongs (sweaty feet) but made it with no injuries to the thongs or me.

Into the bus, thankfully the air con is working nicely. Everyone has the same look, red faced, puffing but happy they did that walk. Now we head back to Vidin. Arrive in town and drive around a bit. Town is very sad, buildings not maintained, weeds everywhere and lots of people sitting around doing nothing. We get to another fortress and wander through that. Almost like churches, too many fortresses.....

Back to the ship for our "grill lunch". They have a bbq on the sky deck which you have to sign up for. Nice food, cold beers and unfortunate no breeze. The first beer doesn't even touch the sides. The food is good and we get our table moved a little more under the cover so the sun doesn't hit us too much. Lunch over and we go back to our room for a shower to try and cool down. Hmm, nana nap coming up maybe.

Tonight we have a disembarkation briefing then a Gala Dinner. Everyone is dressed up to the nines and I have even put long pants, shoes and a shirt on tonight. Bad move, it is quite hot. Have our talk then into dinner. The chef introduces all the kitchen and waiting staff. We applaud them all and eat. Half way through it starts to rain so I go back to the room and bring our washing in. Also slip into a t shirt, things and shorts. Much better. Dinner done, lots of laughs and then we head upstairs for another quiet drink. Have a joke with some of our favourite waiters and then to bed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.392s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb