Guided Tours of Brussels and Bruges


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium
August 18th 2009
Published: August 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

On the first Saturday that I arrived, the new staff at ISB went on a guided tour of Brussels followed by a beer tasting in the Grand Place.
We saw the Belgian Expo, Atomium (which is like a science centre), the Asian (Chinese and Japanese) Museum, and the Royal Palace.
After drinking a lot of beer from the beer tasting, and eating lots of frites at Friteland...we decided to call it a day and go home.

The following Friday we took the train to Bruges and had a guided tour, lunch and then a boat cruise of the city. Bruges is in the Flemish region of Belgium and is a beautiful old medieval town that is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It's referred to as the "Venice of the North" because of all the canals it has.
Our tour guide first took us to the Lake of Love and then to the Church of Our Lady. This church housed the "Madonna with Child," which is one of the few Michelangelo sculptures outside of Italy. After the church we walked around the city, through the fish market, went to the Holy Blood Chapel, saw where the idea for the stock exchange happened, saw the famous Bruges Bear, and ended up in the Markt (main square of Bruges). We had lunch at the Brugse Zot brewery (a famous type of beer from Bruges) and then had a boat cruise of the city and canals. Once we were done all of our guided tours, we had some free time to explore the city. We went to Bar Choc, which was famous for having 44 kinds of hot chocolate...I had the banana ginger hot chocolate and it was delicious!


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Smallest window in BrugesSmallest window in Bruges
Smallest window in Bruges

It was used by a woman to watch her husband as he courted other women in the garden
BrugesBruges
Bruges

Apparently this is the classic picture taken in Bruges
Medieval ArchitectureMedieval Architecture
Medieval Architecture

You can see all the eras of architecture in one square!
Baroque ArchitectureBaroque Architecture
Baroque Architecture

You can see all the eras of architecture in one square!
Classical ArchitectureClassical Architecture
Classical Architecture

You can see all the eras of architecture in one square!
Roman ArchitectureRoman Architecture
Roman Architecture

You can see all the eras of architecture in one square!
Gothic ArchitectureGothic Architecture
Gothic Architecture

You can see all the eras of architecture in one square!


Tot: 0.346s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0917s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb