Belgium a world away.....


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » West Flanders
August 28th 2013
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 51.2948, 3.19941

Status report:

Up at 0545: A "hot" night with bizarre dreams brought on by the Haddock and Chips consumed at the rather good adjacent carvery.

It was an epic 10 minute drive to the Tunnel and we opted for the 0725 crossing enabling more adventure time in the land of chocolate and funny men in bars sipping beer all hours of the day.

Arriving at The Terminal we were greeted by a cheerful chorus of "...ckin hell just behave yourself' from a car load of oikes fresh off the M20 and in need of their daily fix of beans on toast. No more cheerful school kids as the holidays are over. The clientele this morning were elderly bikers and frog faced OAP's dutifully queuing at Costa Coffee and off to swig Vin du Pays in the Dordogne or ride to The Moselle looking like geriatric Hells Angles.

The route up to Brugge passed close to Dunkirk, the turn to the infamous Ypres and then on north to Zeebrugge. Only a minor route incident caused by singing along to "Ferndano" to report.

Our destination is Lissewege, a small village close to Brugge and pretty beyond words. Little whitewashed cottages with distinctive shutters are everywhere. We are very close to the main Zeebrugge to Brugge canal and are staying in a B & B which is set next to a beautiful church with it's own fields.

At once setting off in the quest for knowledge and fresh experiences we totter into an art centre run for blind locals and full of strange conceptual art. No other shops in town except a bakery about to close for the day and a weird art gallery with a nude female figurine by the entrance wearing only a gas mask! The restaurants however look more than promising.

Other oddities include a 6 foot red rabbit in a back garden and some strange robot sculpture....

We are now sipping G & T in a field with the sounds of livestock close at hand..as well as the melodic chimes from a local church.. Our B & B is a beautifully restored farmhouse with all mod cons and surrounded by lovely countryside. Tomorrow BIKES.....windmills and a 43k cycle ride to the Dutch border!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



29th August 2013

buy a bottle of beer with a little wizard on. May be called Belzibub or something like that - Devil. It's about 13% Proof. That'll knock your socks off!
29th August 2013

No 'Ditmar', with the head so square you could lay bricks wi it, to chauffeur you around?

Tot: 0.194s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb