Eurorail Trip Day 7


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » West Flanders » Bruges
July 13th 2009
Published: July 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today we were up at the crack of dawn to the sound of the falling rain, not great when you have a day packed full of sights to go and see. Anyway we had our breakfast, definitely nothing to write about and got on the walking shoes to go and see the city centre.


We spent an hour or so having a red bull to wake up and some internet browsing and then got going. We stopped at the town hall and took some pics with the fountain outside; it had really pretty modern art statues. We then made our way to the horse fountain and geese park, which was so pretty with the canal in the back ground and the boats going past and the horse drawn carriages it truly is magical. We took some pics of the babies and us. We stopped to buy some Belgian fries.... WOW is the only word fitting!


Next in line was the statue of the Madonna which is the only piece of Michelangelo’s art that is outside of Italy. That was kept in the most stunning cathedral where we browsed, lit a candle and said our prays. We also took pictures of the alter and everything inside it was so completely stunning and so old and just gorgeous!

Next on the order of the day was the famous bell tower ( belfry) we took a pic there and decided against climbing the 366 stairs to the top... thank goodness. It is really high and you would think from what you have seen of Bruges in the movie the town is small, it is actually really big and so stunning. We also took a video of the markt and then horse drawn carriages as they are just beautiful and timeless.


Last on the list of things to do was the panoramic view and the walk around the outside of the town centre to the road leading back to the hostel. There we found an interesting windmill that grinds the flour for the cities many gorgeous bakeries. And we also found on our walk back along the river edge a market where most of the locals were hiding. We had some Belgian ice cream which was so creamy and made with real fruit. Sat and relaxed for a little bit, listening to the live band and then we had to get back to get our stuff and make the trains to Amsterdam.


We almost missed the train as we didn’t know busses only come once every hour on a Sunday! Whoops but we made it in time!  So we are sitting in Amsterdam we just had our first trip to the city centre and we going to go back to our really nice hostel and crash! Night all hope you have fun reading and enjoy the pics!
Till we meet tomorrow....



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



14th July 2009

Howzit
Howzit Guys you look like you having a great time ! Gail watch out the bed bugs don't bite ! It's really cool that you can show us your great trekker Lots of love Be safe

Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0711s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb