Odyssey 2018 - Our last waffle in Bruges :-(


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » West Flanders » Bruges
April 3rd 2018
Published: April 3rd 2018
Edit Blog Post

Waffle with caramel sauceWaffle with caramel sauceWaffle with caramel sauce

La Taverne Brugeoise
Sadly, today marks our last day in Bruges. Despite the frequent showers and chilly temperatures during our 10-day-stay, both of us enjoyed the ambience, people, sights, sounds and the food in this charming city of gabled houses, canals and cobblestone streets. It's easy to understand why this city has become such a popular destination for tourists, and we would love to return in warmer weather, when the gardens and foliage are in full bloom.

Of course, our fabulous rental apartment contributed to the pleasant stay. It was immaculate, well-equipped, and centrally located. A grocery store across the street was a big plus, and the owner's waffle and gelato shop downstairs had to be the icing on the cake!

Our original plan was to spend the day packing for our move to Tours, in the Loire Valley of France, tomorrow morning. But around noon, we decided to do a little walking, finish souvenir shopping, and perhaps have some lunch--we've yet to sample the moules frites (mussels and fries) for which Belgium is famous! Of the dozens of restaurants on offer in our neighborhood, we settled on La Taverne Brugeoise, located on the Markt square.

Although it turned out to be a typical tourist spot, the menu choices were appealing, and the prices reasonable. The mussels were tempting, but Dee ordered a small steak, while I wanted to try the chicken served on a flaky pastry.

We ordered a couple of monster-sized beers to wash everything down, and ended the meal by sharing a farewell waffle for dessert.

With a long travel day facing us tomorrow, we returned to the apartment to finish packing, and hit the sack early. In the morning, a taxi will be here at 7:00AM for the hour-long drive to the Brussels airport, where we board a flight that will deliver us to Nantes in about 90 minutes; then a long, 2-hour-drive to our final destination in the city of Tours. If all goes well, we'll be there by 3:00PM. Stay tuned!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

La Taverne BrugeoiseLa Taverne Brugeoise
La Taverne Brugeoise

On the Markt, Bruges
Chicken and fritesChicken and frites
Chicken and frites

La Taverne Brugeoise
Steak and fritesSteak and frites
Steak and frites

La Taverne Brugeoise
Tall one at the next tableTall one at the next table
Tall one at the next table

La Taverne Brugeoise
The EiermarktThe Eiermarkt
The Eiermarkt

The Eiermarkt, formerly a dairy and egg market, is a small square in Bruges, connected to the Markt by a short street. The monument, by Pieter Pepers (1761), was actually a water pump.


3rd April 2018

Thank you for sharing Belgium, what a great place to visit. Safe travels to France tomorrow. ??
4th April 2018

Yes I think you should visit Belgium in warmer weather! It's a beautiful country with nice people ,great food and lots to see. You should of tried the mussels and frites delicious. But your meals looked amazing That tall beer at the next table is called a Quak. We have one of those so when you get home you'll have to try a Duvel in A special glass!! Safe travels.
4th April 2018
Where's Jason when I need him?

Cheers Mitch! We're with you in spirit and travelling vicariously through your blog!
4th April 2018

What an amazing time we all shared with you. Thank you for this experience together, the food and beer...my tums is still full. Safe travels onward with your journey, look forward to more shared moments!

Tot: 0.321s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0871s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb