Christmas season in Belgium & the Netherlands!


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » Brussels-Capital Region
December 27th 2016
Published: December 28th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We have only been here in Brussels for a short while so far and yet have done so much. We awoke on our first morning and headed out by car to south-east Belgium. Driving through rolling hills, it struck me how lush green the countryside was, despite it being in the midst of winter. Fallowed fields, idle farm equipment and smoke billowing from chimneys came into view as we left the main highway and crossed through rural scenery, the occasional chateau commanding a highpoint.

As we passed through the famous Ardennes, it was difficult to envisage the fierce tank battles that would have raged here, as Allied armies under Patton struck at the German occupiers in World War 11. Today, peace and tranquility lured us once again into the region as we passed village after village and entered the town of Durbuy. Dominated by an imposing castle, it's narrow cobbled streets, quaint shops and hosts of holiday makers made for a most alluring ambience. Crispy fresh bagette and delicious saucisson comprised lunch as we walked around absorbing the atmosphere and drank hot chocolate. Several food stalls offering an array of mouth-watering delights graced each narrow street and open space. The aroma of cooking sausages and barbecued meats filled the cool winter air.

Soon we were off, heading through the impressive town of Esneux and then on to Liege before heading into the Netherlands and the famous city of Maastricht, as the sun began to dip below the hills and the light slowly faded. We had once planned to attend an outdoor concert in this city by the well known conductor Andre Rieu but were not able to secure tickets. Our quest on this occasion was the special Christmas lights of Maastricht. Our driver let us off in the central square from which all activity proceeded. Adorned with beautiful lights, we made our way in multiple directions as the warm Christmas lights on every pedestrianized street cast their hue on the throngs of people below. It was a most magical moment as we sipped hot spiced wine and strolled around.

It was a most memorable day, capped off with a finale fitting only of the special season that Christmas is.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Enticing deli in Durbuy.Enticing deli in Durbuy.
Enticing deli in Durbuy.

Beautiful array saucisson including boudin noire (black pudding).


29th December 2016

FABULOUS TRIP
Roger and Gee: this seems to be a wonderful trip, cannot get enough of the pictures of Belgium with the Christmas atmosphere... wish we were there. Enjoy, stay safe and see you when you are back. Maureen
30th December 2016

Good Stuff?
Can't keep up with you ol' Chap-not even when you visit St. Lucia? Great writing! Great photos! All the very best.
1st January 2017

Food description
Roger, you should be a food critic :) Your descriptions are mouth watering...

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0585s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb