Brussells... at least we can say we did it


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » Brussels-Capital Region » Brussels
June 30th 2006
Published: October 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Grand PlaceThe Grand PlaceThe Grand Place

Lots of restaurants.. and people staring
I was sooo apprehensive about taking another night train just because of our last experience in Venice, but because of the sold out day train, it was our only option. Turns out it wasnt so bad. It wasnt too hot, and I actually slept this time. But we arrived somewhere in Germany at 5:45 am and had to wait an hour and a half for a connecting train to Brussells. Luckily there was a McDonalds there to help me through that one 😊 We arrived in Brussells pretty early and found our hostel pretty easily. The hostel is right in the middle of the downton area, so everything was really close. As we were walking to our hostel, Heidi saw a place where they were selling Belgium waffles, kind of like they sell churros, so after dropping our stuff off that was our first mission. So now I have to say THEY ARE SO AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS!!!! Once we found a stand that sold them in a shopping area, the lady handed us the plain waffle and our first thought was "Uhh... wheres the syrup??" But after taking a bite... yeah you dont need it. It must be coated with some kind of honey syrup when its cooked, and the outside is crunchy, inside gooey.... anyway I could go on about these forever... I had two. I thought about taking them home with me so you all could try them, but I dont think it would have tasted the same 4 days later. When I first saw them I immediately thought of Cort because we all know how he loves those Belgian waffles with strawberries and whipped cream... anyway Cort... someday you too shall taste paradise :P America's got nothing on these waffles. So anway... Brusssells.... where was I..... oh yeah then we went back to our hostel, hung out for a bit. They have a pretty cool common room with couches, big screen TV's, and music playing over the whole room. After we took a longer nap than we expected (it always seems to work out that way anyway) we went down the street again to the Grand Place. This was the only thing I had heard about in Brussells, just a big square lined with restaurants, a museum, and some kind of palace. I should really be better at this history stuff, but in one ear and out the other with me.... I tell ya. Getting there and back was neat, its surrounded by a whole bunch of winding alley ways with restaurants and shops, and sooo many chocolate shops. Apparently Belgium has some of the finest chocolates, even better than swiss. But their shops alone are amazing, everything is a work of art. There wasnt much else we wanted to see in Brussells so we headed back to the hostel to watch another World Cup game. The first one was Germany vs. Argentina.... nobody was routing for Germany except for me... quietly. We had made a pasta dinner in the kitchen.... very nice change of pace to buying something Im probably going to hate anyway. Then we watched the second game, Italy vs. Ukraine... Italy won which prompted every Italian fan to drive down our street and hang out the window of their car and yell and honk their horns. We stood on our balcony for a while and watched, it was crazy. But after about an hour it started to get pretty old... and it was almost 1 am.... but anyway, finally made it to sleep. The only real reason we came to Brussells was to catch the train through the Chunnel back to London, so it was nice to see a few sights, but that was about it!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0199s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb