bobblybum from Brussels


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » Brussels-Capital Region » Brussels
November 2nd 2010
Published: November 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Aloha, boingiornio, gutenbag, no wait what language do they speak in Belgium? Beligianese of course. So bobblybum to all of you!

Our last proper entry was in Prague over six cold months ago. We've been having a wild time in a whirlwind tour through 'central Europe'. Poland was wonderful, Cezar spent time with his relatives and Tracey got to nod and show off her excellent beginner Polish (including the phrase 'no thank you I've had too much food.'). We highly recommend having relatives and visiting them often.

Since Berlin (which was wonderful in absolutely awful weather) we've visited Munich, Bern and Paris. Munich had the kind of cuisine you would feed your enemies insisting they eat everything. The only sight of vegetables would be things that were pickled so long ago it wouldn't know that Prussia's gone. We ended up eating at the same place two out of our three nights because it was so wonderful and exhausting.

Cezar got a crackled knuckle of pork because he had no idea what it is and trust us you don't want to know (unless you have the next week off). It's the kind of thing which takes hours to eat and days to cut. Delicious nethertheless. Bern was fun, in Switerzland they do this thing where instead of tourist attractions they have ridiculous prices. The cheapest food we found were awful kebabs for 15 Euro. We visited Lucerne to climb up the mean Mount Pilatus but at the sight of snow the Swiss closed the mountain and cancelled the cogwheel railway.

Paris was great, and although the strikes bit us right on the wallet, we weren't too troubled. We spent five days there and visited Tracey's family friend and ate ridiculous things. A more indepth Paris recap later. Now we're in Brussels. Yesterday we visited the beautiful Bruges (which has a chocolate museum and a chip museum) and ate waffles, chips and went straight to heaven. A strange thing happens when you visit Belgium, you ask what do you do and people tell you to eat the chips, enjoy the waffles, indulge in chocolate while knocking off a beer. No attractions, just food and goodness! Cezar has already checked the Eurostar back out here and the news is good.

We're really enjoying Belgium (and our trip) and filled with terror that in a week we will be blogging from London, looking for work and waiting for sun. So we've already started planning our next trip (Malta here we come!) but first we have to collect enough pennies to have a pound. A-yo! We are well and happy and missing all of you (apart from Sam B, you know why.). Even though our travel is ending we'll be keeping the travelblog going (and the travel, eventually).

For Jen: the best thing in Belgium is the fries. Handcut and then fried twice in animal fat, it's like we've never had fries before.

Dobblydookyroger until next time.

Love C+T

Advertisement



Tot: 0.248s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb