Week Break from Class - Day 1: Brussels, Belgium


Advertisement
Published: January 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

2005-eurotrip

Florence to Brussels to Amsterdam to Berlin.. and back!

It was the semester break for our studies in Florence, Italy, so myself and my roomate, Lindsey, decided we would take advantage of the opportunity and head to Brussels, Amsterdam, and Berlin for the week!

Brussels was a stop-over for us because ultimately it did not cost much more at all to fly into the area (Charleroi airport) and then take a train into our intended destination of Amsterdam, than if we had just flown straight into Amsterdam. Who were we to complain about the opportunity to see an extra city/country!

The arrival airport was a small one, and after a bus ride which took a little over an hour in the rain, we were in Brussels. We stayed at Hotel La Madeleine which, thanks to booking online, we only paid 25 euros each, as opposed to the walk-in rate which would have meant 50 euros each.

After checking into the hotel, we set off to find a meal. Ultimately we ended up eating at a middle-eastern resturant in the tourist district. Beware of this area! Every place has their own special.. and if you hesitate, you can get a cheaper menu. Just make sure that's the menu
Queens GalleryQueens GalleryQueens Gallery

And refuge from the rain!
you are ordering from once you sit down. After leaving, we treated ourselves to dessert: Belgian Waffles with ice cream and fudge on top! It was absolutely amazing!

We visited the Grand-Place square which is full of beautifully architectured buildings which are even more beautiful once they are lit up at night and also the Queens Gallery which was absolutely beautiful! There was supposed to be a light show in the square, but it was cancelled due to the weather.

Ultimately, we met some other travelers and found a little bar on a corner called The Doghouse and finished out the evening playing pool and sharing travel stories before catching some sleep and waking up to catch a train to Amsterdam the next morning.

(Entry added January 29, 2006)


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Any type of food you could want!Any type of food you could want!
Any type of food you could want!

Be prepared to get reeled in... or ignore all the "sales pitches"!
BrusselsBrussels
Brussels

Older within the new.
Mannekin PisMannekin Pis
Mannekin Pis

This little peeing boy, believe it or not, is an important attraction within the city.
Meeting fellow travelersMeeting fellow travelers
Meeting fellow travelers

Jessi, Jeremy, Lindsey, and A-ton.
Meeting fellow travelersMeeting fellow travelers
Meeting fellow travelers

Jessi, Lindsay, and Jeremy
Meeting fellow travelersMeeting fellow travelers
Meeting fellow travelers

Jeremy, A-ton, Me, and Jessi
The DoghouseThe Doghouse
The Doghouse

Little bar we hung out at


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb