Claire and Simon's trip round Eastern Europe


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria
June 27th 2018
Published: June 28th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Hail stones after the stormHail stones after the stormHail stones after the storm

Simon has a video of the storm and has saved some hailstones in the freezer for anyone who is interested!
Today (now yesterday) we left Bled to start the long drive home. It was sunny as we drove out of the site but had some rain on the way. We shared the driving which was mostly motorway. We had lovely views of the mountains all the way with clouds often low over the tops. We left Slovenia through the Karawanken tunnel, 8 kms long and passed through several more tunnels on the way.

We are now in a rural campsite just outside Salzburg. As we were having a late lunch thunder started and then we had a storm followed by a hailstorm. The hail was as big as marbles and battered on the caravan roof and bounced as they hit the ground. Once the rain had stopped we caught the bus into Salzburg for a quick look round. The site owner recommended we take an umbrella and she was quite right. Another thunder storm hit us so we sheltered in a shop doorway. Salzburg is on a river and a very smart town. We suddenly felt a bit out of place in our camping gear. We wandered around the old part of town and then headed up a very steep hill to the old castle built on top of a rock. We did a tour of the castle while it poured with rain again outside but when we had finished the sun came out. We had a lovely view all round over the town and of the mountains all around. We watched planes taking off from the nearby airport. then we took the funicular railway down and made our way back to the site. Sun was still shining then but as we went to bed it started again and rained most of the night.

This morning we left in pouring rain and it hasn't stopped since. We soon crossed into Germany. As we went through the border there were loads of police watching the traffic. We were in the van and towing vehicles lane, but we weren't stopped. You never know what to expect. Clouds were very low over the mountains but even though we have left them behind there has been no improvement. It was horrible on the motorway with so much spray and very busy traffic. Sat nav took us off the motorway for a bit as there were long queues but when we got on going round Munich there was lots of road works and changing of lanes. It has been nice to arrive safely. We are now near Augsburg and I would have liked a look round but weather stopped us. We are on the side of a lake but haven't seen it yet.

James has just arrived in Amsterdam for a hockey tournament and says it's hot there so don't know why we are being unlucky. Fingers crossed for tomorrow. Hoping for better things though forecast not looking good.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Our campsite in the evening sunOur campsite in the evening sun
Our campsite in the evening sun

Camping Auguin in Salzburg


29th June 2018

Bad weather or what!
Poor you how rotten but Salzburg sounded lovely....My brother stayed there on an exchange trip when he was at John Bentley for six weeks....he stayed with a doctor in a large house and a maid...I think Herbert must have landed the short straw when he arrived to stay with us....no car, terrace house and shared bedroom! Weather here still beautiful ...... just to rub it in!!!!!! Xxxx love me
29th June 2018

the sun is back!
Today the sun returned. Your brother's exchange visit gave him a different experience as his exchange friend got on his visit. I always find it interesting to see how others live. When you're young you think everyone has the same sort of life as you. So it's all a learning curve. My exchange visit to France was interesting. The family lived on a farm and life revolved round that.I remember being given snails to eat which took some courage to eat but were ok. Glad to hear you're still getting good weather and hope it lasts until we're back.

Tot: 0.409s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0601s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb