Patscherkofel


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria
June 16th 2013
Published: October 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Alpengasthof BoschebenAlpengasthof BoschebenAlpengasthof Boscheben

They make exceedingly good apple cake and apple schnapps!
Geo: 47.2364, 11.3373

The forecast, once the early morning cloud had been burned off, was for sunshine. So after morning coffee we set off by car for Igls where we intended to take the cable car ride to Patscherkofel - a peak of 1953m overlooking Innsbruck.

The journey to the top took us past assorted winter sports facilities, such as the bob sleigh run, which had been used during the two occasions that the olympics had been held here. Once there we set off on a walk route featured in a local leaflet and the panoramic views were spectacular over the Stubai Valley and pine forests.

The approximate mid-point of the 6km trek was the Alpengasthof Boscheben where we took a rest over a piece of apple cake, me with a small beer and David with coffee and an apple schnapps chaser made by the owner. After this we set off on the walk back to the cable car summit when we had to negotiate with care several piles of snow. Innsbruck and its environs soon came into view - a contrast to the rural landscape of the first half.

Back at the 'van we revived ourselves with a much needed cuppa sitting outside in the sunshine on just about our hottest so far this trip. The forecast is for more of the same in the next few days so we shall need to slap on the sun-screen.

It was good to Skype Christopher for the first time to catch up news from home. He has recommended a resort hotel to check out which he and Kate came across during their trip to Meyrhofen, so that may take care of one of our remaining days. I am also in search of a first-class, genuine apple strudel.

In view of the excessive heat, our evening meal - paella - was eaten later than usual as the sun was beginning to drop in the sky. Our area of the site has thankfully returned to a quiet, peaceful oasis now that the noisy family have moved on from the pitch next to ours. The couple, no idea what nationality, but not British, had two young girls and they just never shut up! Chatter, chatter, chatter, non-stop. Not to mention playing badminton in the roadway, but they stopped after getting the evil-eye from David after the shuttlecock landed on our car twice. Should they have stayed, we most probably would have moved on earlier than planned which would have been a shame since this is a great site.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0339s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb