Lazy Day in Vienna


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna
July 4th 2015
Published: July 4th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Capuchin ChurchCapuchin ChurchCapuchin Church

In the heart of the city. The Imperial Crypt for the Hapsburg dynasty.
Happy July 4th U.S.A...but no parade in Vienna. We decided to sleep in and do some odds and ends today. Mary needed to purchase a new suitcase; who knew that cobblestones and suitcase rollers don't mix. Mom and I went grocery shopping. Thank goodness the packages had pictures on them. For all I knew I could have been purchasing a can of sardines!

We were able though to squeeze in a few hours of sightseeing and stop for a Torte in Café Sacher.

The Capuchin Church is very unassuming from the outside, but its importance lies underneath...the Imperial Crypt for members of the Hapsburg dynasty(149; including 12 emperors and 19 empresses). Oddly, it's only the bodies and not the organs that are buried here (guts are in St Stephens Church, and hearts are in Augustinian Church).

Next stop, the Albertina. Former Hapsburg palace and now an art museum. Its latest exhibition collection presents masterpieces of the Modern art world, spanning Monet to Picasso and Baselitz.

In front of the Albertina is a gripping WWII war memorial; the Anti-War and Facism Monument. On this spot was an apartment building. During an air raid on 3/12/45, 100 residents were
Capuchin Church - Imperial CryptCapuchin Church - Imperial CryptCapuchin Church - Imperial Crypt

Sarcophagus' are on display. Above is Emperor Franz Joseph and his beloved wife Sisi.
buried alive in the basement and were unable to be rescued. This monument is made up of four pieces to highlight the violence and tragedy the Austrians faced during WWII while under Nazi rule.

Our final stop was the world famous Café Sacher. Known for its chocolate cake (Original Sacher-Torte). The café has been a meeting point for famous figures like Gandhi, Queen Elizabeth II, and John F Kennedy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

AlbertinaAlbertina
Albertina

This palace turned art museum contains over 60,000 drawings along with a huge contemporary collection of masterpieces.
Albertina - MonetAlbertina - Monet
Albertina - Monet

Water lilies. Reminded us of our trip to Paris and the Orangerie (one of our most favorite museums!)
Albertina - PicassoAlbertina - Picasso
Albertina - Picasso

Woman with a Green Hat. How can you look at a Picasso and not smile.
Albertina - Andy WarholAlbertina - Andy Warhol
Albertina - Andy Warhol

Mao Tse Tung. I know that we can easily do this from our laptop now. But you have to appreciate how Warhol diluted and distorted the Chinese leader image.
Anti-War & Facism MonumentAnti-War & Facism Monument
Anti-War & Facism Monument

The large marble columns are called the Gate of Violence and represent the victims of both war and concentration camps.
Cafe' SacherCafe' Sacher
Cafe' Sacher

Elegant dining room and waitstaff
Cafe SacherCafe Sacher
Cafe Sacher

Mom and Nancy enjoying chocolate cake


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb