Eurovision!


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna
May 19th 2015
Published: May 20th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday 19thMay. Prater, Eurovision, concert at Palais Auersperg.

This morning I examined my Vienna tourist map to see if there was anything else that caught my eye as a ‘not to be missed’ location. I spotted The Prater, with its historic giant wheel, so headed off there by tram and metro. The Prater is a big amusement park, and garden park, with a number of very historic rides and amusements. I took a ride on the Wiener Riesenrad, the most famous, and something you may remember from the James Bond film The Living Daylights, Timothy Dalton’s first Bond film, 1987 (according to my research). It was an impressive spectacle and ride.

After lunch I headed off to the matinee performance of the Eurovision Song Contest. They advised getting there 45 minutes before the pre-show, which started an hour and a quarter before the performance, for security checks, etc. I complied, along with a handful of others – could have been an hour later without too much difficulty! The stage and ‘green room’ area (which is also in the auditorium) were impressive. The show was spectacular, with fabulous lighting effects. It was coincidence that I was in Vienna while this was on, but certainly was an opportunity not to be missed. It was a great show.

Another opportunity not to be missed in Vienna is to see a classical concert, so in the evening I went to a Mozart & Strauss concert at the Palais Auersperg, given by the Vienna Residence Orchestra. The star of the concert last night was the 280 year old violin, played by the violin soloist Arpat Patkolo. The concert is to be recorded for a TV special this Wednesday (today), so this concert was pretty much a full dress rehearsal for that important event. It was a wonderful concert, and also featured two opera singers for a few pieces, and two ballet dancers for a few more. The room was an oval shaped hall, seating only about 200, so it was easy to see and hear. It was almost like having an orchestra in your own home – really close. They played with the professional ease and brilliance of very experienced musicians.

Today I am headed off to the mountains. Unfortunately the forecast is for increasing rain today, with more rain showers until the end of the week. I hope the mountains are
Wiener RiesenradWiener RiesenradWiener Riesenrad

You may remember James Bond being here - Timothy Dalton, in The Living Daylights, 1987
not all in cloud.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Votivkirche - under renovationVotivkirche - under renovation
Votivkirche - under renovation

Sponsored by guess who?


Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb