Budapest to Vienna


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna
August 15th 2011
Published: August 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Budapest to Vienna



Morning tea was at a small road-side stop on the way to Bratislavia for Lunch, but to our amazement the little rest-stop was packed with fresh fruit, home-made pasta as well as the most incredible waffles with maple syrup and whipped cream! Mmm!
We entered Slovakia where we stopped for a bite to eat and some Pilsner beer which the area is well-known for. We arrived in Austria to set up our tents in a mad-rush to beat the oncoming stormclouds, then headed to Vienna’s Prater fun park where Lach tested his sniper ability.
We sat down for a local dish of wiener schnitzel with pommes (pork schnitzel with fries). The size of meals here were massive, with our friend ordering a burger and only being able to eat a quarter!!
We spent our free day wandering around Vienna after a morning tour along the historic Ring Road, exploring the music, cafes, parks, and incredible architecture the city had to offer.
We saw Schonbrunn Palace (17th century, made up of 1441 rooms and beautiful gardens), St Stephen’s Cathedral (founded in 113), the State Opera House, Hofburg Imperial Palace (13th century, now residence of the President of Austria), Parliament, Rathaus (town hall), Votivkirche, Burg Theatre as well as the statues of Maria Theresa and Mozart.
In town Cafe Sacher had the most amazing Sacher-Torte (invented in 1832) – a delicious chocolate cake with a strip of apricot jam, topped with chocolate icing!
Before heading back to camp we visited the Old Vienna Shnaps Museum to learn about the traditional distilling techniques, with taste-testing of some interesting schnapps and liquers including ‘rocket-fuel’ and a drink containing leaf-gold!
It will be a shame to leave such picturesque countryside – it’s no wonder that The Sound of Music was filmed in Austria!



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



28th August 2011

Hi from Mum T
Hope you took lots of photos whilst in Vienna area. I've always admired how picturesque it seems there. Cakes look yummy & burger is just crazy.....

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.023s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb