Day 48 - Culture Club


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna
August 18th 2023
Published: August 18th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Our last full day in Vienna. We have plans to do lots of things both ride related and leisure related. I doubt we'll get them all done.
I'm fast out of the blocks, up early to have breakfast and work on the bike. It needed a good clean but I also needed to swap my front and back tyres around as the front tyre has a wider profile. I was done and dusted by 9:00am, a good start.
Jeff had on his list to get some rim tape at a bike shop, patch a couple of tubes and rotate his front and rear tyres to even out the wear - none of which was done before we all left for the city about 10:30am.
Tom, having just arrived had nothing to do on his bike.
What we had done was download the public transport app for Vienna, purchased all day tickets and worked out we were getting the 82A bus to Aspendale Station and the getting the U2 train to Toblerone Station and then swapping to the No 2 tram. OK, the stations weren't called Aspendale and Toberlone but we couldn't pronounce the real names and these looked close. All over it - one day too late.
I wanted to pick up on the walking tour we abandoned yesterday when we lost Jeff (or he lost us). It took us a little time to pick up the route but we finished off what was quite a good tour of a number of Vienna's main highlights.
We grabbed a quick bite for lunch and then headed back to the Museum quarter. We were off to the Art History Museum for the afternoon. The museum contained many forms of art. There was a huge art collection as well as Egyptian antiquities, Roman and Greek artifacts, porcelain, clocks, coin collections, and many more. It's hard to describe how amazingly good the collection was, each room would reveal more and more masterful pieces of art. Of equal brilliance was the building that housed the collection itself. The ceilings and cornices were magnificaent.
At about 4pm Jeff and I went to a bike shop in town, Jeff to get rim tape and I to get chain lube. We met up with Tom again, headed back out of town to have dinner, and then return to the aprtment.
Jeff patched his tubes and I tried to fix a flat spot on my tyre with limited success. All other tasks are left for another day.
And so we come to the end of our stay in Vienna. What a city. If you ever have the chance to come, then do, and spend as long as you can here. You won't be sorry.
Tomorrow we have about 65kms to ride to Bratislava, which means we'll be leaving Austria and entering Slovakia and our first foray into Eastern Europe.
Can't wait - bring it on.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0294s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb