Mozart/Strauss concert at the Hofburg Palace in Vienna! And the Benedictine Monastery in Melk.


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna
May 17th 2018
Published: May 17th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Celebrating our birthdays at the Hofsburg Palace in Vienna.Celebrating our birthdays at the Hofsburg Palace in Vienna.Celebrating our birthdays at the Hofsburg Palace in Vienna.

As the sun was setting we entered the palace for a performance of music by Mozart and Strauss.
The time finally came for the one special excursion we had booked: A concert in Vienna at the Hofburg Imperial Palace, the main centre of the Habsburg Dynasty which ruled for 700 years.

Today was a day of "No photos allowed", in both the concert and the Abby, but I can show you the outsides of both places and the entrance ways.

One of the Benedictine Abby's claims to fame is having the human remains of the sainted Irishman Coloman. After his hanging, Coloman's hair and fingernails continued to grow, which was supposedly taken as a sign of his sanctity and special power. In fact, I thought this continuing of growth was generally true of bodies shortly after death. But I can't explain why people were getting healed by touching Coloman's dead body.

In any case, word of the alleged miracles reached Margrave Henry I, who then sent his soldiers to take Coloman's body to the Abby, which definitely increased the prestige of the Abby. In those days, being in possession of relics also helped solidify the divine providence of earthly rulers, in this case the Babenbergs.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Red carpet reception at the grand palaceRed carpet reception at the grand palace
Red carpet reception at the grand palace

Ron and Gabrielle ascend the royal stairway to the concert hall.
In the concert hall, I could imagine women in beautiful full-skirted gowns twirling to the notes of The Blue Danube waltz.In the concert hall, I could imagine women in beautiful full-skirted gowns twirling to the notes of The Blue Danube waltz.
In the concert hall, I could imagine women in beautiful full-skirted gowns twirling to the notes of The Blue Danube waltz.

We had to refrain from taking photos during the concert, so I guess you'll have to imagine this, too.
Saint Coloman, the Irish saint of AustriaSaint Coloman, the Irish saint of Austria
Saint Coloman, the Irish saint of Austria

Coloman was a hapless Irish pilgrim heading for Jerusalem on the overland route along the Danube. The region was at war, locals thought he was a spy and lynched him from a tree in Stockerau, 30 km NW of Vienna.
The symbolic double-headed eagleThe symbolic double-headed eagle
The symbolic double-headed eagle

This is a favorite symbol of strength.
The statues at the top of the entrance stairs.The statues at the top of the entrance stairs.
The statues at the top of the entrance stairs.

After this point, despite some impressive artifacts on show and displays of enormous wealth, no photographs were allowed.


17th May 2018

Hi Philip and Matha Great reading about you wonderful times in Europe. I get an almost surreal sense of deja vu from your blog. Lol We are now safe in Madrid and guess what, we are on the 4th floor and no lift. I hope your trip up to Prague is going well. Ron and Gabrielle
17th May 2018
Celebrating our birthdays at the Hofsburg Palace in Vienna.

Birthday outing
Oh how marvellous!!

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0277s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb