Grand Vienna


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna
May 18th 2018
Published: May 18th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We were amazed at the scale of Vienna. Everywhere we looked there were buildings the size of city blocks. Of course, we were limited by time and how far our legs would carry us.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Critical part of touristing: a stop for coffeeCritical part of touristing: a stop for coffee
Critical part of touristing: a stop for coffee

Phil will have a coffee even within the spiritual range of a cathedral.
St Stephens CathedralSt Stephens Cathedral
St Stephens Cathedral

Gothic structure with a very jazzy roof.
The Empress Maria Theresa, Queen of Hungary and Bohemia and Archduchess of Austria from 1740 to 1780.The Empress Maria Theresa, Queen of Hungary and Bohemia and Archduchess of Austria from 1740 to 1780.
The Empress Maria Theresa, Queen of Hungary and Bohemia and Archduchess of Austria from 1740 to 1780.

The only female head of the Habsburg dynasty, she was also Empress of the Holy Roman Empire (1745-1765) AND mother of 16 children. Who says you can't do it all? Her last daughter was Marie Antonia, who became Marie Antoinette, Queen of France, who came to a dramatic end.
The scale in Vienna dwarfed us mere humans.The scale in Vienna dwarfed us mere humans.
The scale in Vienna dwarfed us mere humans.

Inside a courtyard of Hofburg Palace, home of the Habsburgs for centuries. Each new ruler added more sections to the complex.
Yes, a long distance zoomed-in shot of a famous Lipizzaner horse awaiting its morning exercise.Yes, a long distance zoomed-in shot of a famous Lipizzaner horse awaiting its morning exercise.
Yes, a long distance zoomed-in shot of a famous Lipizzaner horse awaiting its morning exercise.

Did you know these dancing horses are born with dark fur but go white as they grow up? I saw a performance of Lipizzaners in Boston Gardens when I was in high school. Never thought I'd encounter them again.
Spittelau waste recycling plantSpittelau waste recycling plant
Spittelau waste recycling plant

This strange looking tower and the colorful buildings at its base are part of a complex which supplies heat to the hospital, 262,000 dwellings, and 5,300 industrial consumers.


24th May 2018

Vienna
I just love everything about Vienna; everything as it is at the moment mind you. Mind you I wouldn't have wanted to live there during WW11, especially if I was Jewish.

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0629s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb