"Why doesn't the Vienna guidebook have a map of Germany??"


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
October 29th 2006
Published: October 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

JC on the train!JC on the train!JC on the train!

On the road again...
Hello from Vienna!

Well, it was the best of times, and today was the worst of times. But somehow we managed to stay smiling! Friday after classes, me and JC from Hamilton (who's also studying at the University of Ljubljana with me) took off on 7 hour train ride to Vienna.

We arrived late, so basically we just found our hostel and crashed. We're staying at the Hostel Ruthensteiner (http://www.hostelruthensteiner.com/), which is very clean, though a little noisy at night.

Yesterday, we started out at the Spanish Riding Museum, watching Lipanzer horses train in a huge indoor ring that seemed more like a palace from the outside than a stable and riding ring! It was more interesting for JC who rode horses for a lot of her life than for me, but still... neat to see. Next we made our way to the Saturday Market which was FANTASTIC. First we made our way through dozens of fruit, vegetable, meat, cheeze, nut, olive, and bread stands... it was pretty fascinating and made me hungry! Next we emerged onto a walkway filled with the likes of an antique/flea market. We spent over an hour there, looking at the oldest of old and the most stolen of the new... there was everything from antique record players (gramophones? is that right?) to cellphones, candles to desklamps, clogs to platforms... it was pretty sweet. I managed to pick up 3 vintage dresses for 3.50 Euros!

Next we went to MUMOK, which is the Museum of Modern Art. Defintily one of the coolest museums I've been to. The best was an exibit buy a guy named Erwin Wurm. Definitly look him up. He calls all of his work "Sculpture" even though a lot of it is photography. My favorite was a calendar of fairly ugly people making strange faces that was titled "Idiots".

After we were pretty tired so we came back to the hostel after a few more photo opps and visiting a huge church and made some dinner, then hit the hay to get up early this morning.

Today we woke up at 7am to go see the Vienna Boys choir. We got to a coffee shop at 8 and tried to go in, but the lady said it was closed. We looked at the hours and it said they openned at 8am, so we asked again, and the
I like this one a lot...I like this one a lot...I like this one a lot...

Not sure what the statue is called but this is def one of my fave pics from Vienna
lady pointed to her watch and said "change time..."... it was daylight savings time, and we had totally forgotten! AHHH!!! Sometimes travelling sucks because you forget about things like that.... so after chilling in the coffee shop for an hour (the lady said we could sit inside because it was raining and windy out... very nice of herĀ·!!) we went to see the Vienna Boys Choir. Well, we didn't actually see them. Our "partial view" tickets basically let us see the other side of the church through a window. But listening to them was pretty sweet.

Ok, I am running out of time so I'm going to have to save the rest of my story for later! I will post pics when I get home on Tuesday!

Love you all,

Mel


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

MUMOK...MUMOK...
MUMOK...

To tell us how to find the museum, the lady at the ticket booth told us to look for the building with the house crashed into the side of it. Not so hard to find really...
A building we stumbled acrossA building we stumbled across
A building we stumbled across

Not the best photo, but we just stumbled across this very big, very beautiful, very gothic building the first night!
JC reseting her watch...JC reseting her watch...
JC reseting her watch...

This is a great moment... the head shaking after laughing so hard at ourselves for being an hour early because it was daylight savings time and we totally forgot... we could have slept another HOUR!! AHHH!
Picture of people taking pictures...Picture of people taking pictures...
Picture of people taking pictures...

This was after the Vienna boys choir, all the tourists (ahem, asians...) taking pictures of two of the poor little boys who were sent out for photo opps. I wonder what they think of this...
StephansdomStephansdom
Stephansdom

I loooooooove gothic architecture!
Statue at Schloss SchoenbrunnStatue at Schloss Schoenbrunn
Statue at Schloss Schoenbrunn

(don't quote me on the spelling!)


1st November 2006

I miss the pictures!
I can hardly wait to see the pictures. The stories are great but I miss the photos (and you). Love Mumsy
4th November 2006

Sounds like your having the time of your life
wow melissa, i cant believe how much you've seen and done since you've been gone. I love the journals and the pictures, what an experience. Take care of yourself!!

Tot: 0.294s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0789s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb