Made it out of Rome alive


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Tyrol » Innsbruck
July 4th 2006
Published: July 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We finally got of Rome with its hot humid weather and thousand year old buildings. On our last day we hit the Vatican galleries where I saw all those paintings you learn about in like middle schools humanities while they try and culture you up. The School of Athens, The Sistine Chapel, and The Last Judgement. All crazy, Michelangelo was a bad cat. Jack was showing me how the way The Last Judgement is layed out Mikey unintentionally made it look like a skull which is pretty sweet. The painting of God about touching Adam is way stunning in person, I thought I might be jaded since I have seen it in so many different contexts, but when you strain your neck up at that 90 degree angle and look at it it´s pretty damn incredible. The thing that kills me is that it is so clear, there seems to be no degredation, M dawg might as well have finished it the day before.

Then we went to St. Peter´s. The biggest church in the world. It is hard to describe, it´s this huge magnificent opulent structure and it just goes on and on and on and up and up and up. I didn´t take any pictures of it because you can´t really capture it like that you just need to go for yourself.

We spent about 8-9 hours today on a train from Rome here to Innsbruk. We wanted to go to Venice but we couldn´t find any availability and felt safer winging it in Austria. We met this really cool Italian dancer in the train. He was heading to some Austrian town to do acrobatics and play with fire in the opera Le Troubador by Verdi. We found out he was a dancer about midway through the trip which helped a few things fall into place, like the fact that he was totally ripped and as Jack put it, he sat like a monkey, always in awkward positions.

So now we are here in Innsbruk where the hostel is 12.50 euro a night which is a nice relief after spending high 20s per night in Rome. We also just ate a real meal, I had a Weiner Schnitzel and Jack had some other crazy huge Germanic meat dish. I am glad we have finally hit the part of Europe where they know how to eat.

We are in an internet cafe in the old town right now and are planning on just exploring the town tonight, maybe checking out the Germany Italy soccer game somewhere. This town is right on both those borders so it should be an avid fan base. Tomorrow we are heading to Salzburg, only 2 hours by train (thank God), which is having a huge shindig for Mozart´s 250th so we are going to try and catch a bunch of concerts before we head over to Budapest.
Mack

Advertisement



5th July 2006

Oi.
That sounds utterly amazing. You must be having the time of your life.

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb