The Birthplace of Mozart


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Salzburg
July 6th 2006
Published: July 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

So I just got done checking out the Mozart Wohnhaus. The place he lived while he was 17-24. They had replicas of old harpsichords and pianos and lots of old manuscripts which were great to look at. He has some crazy handwriting, sometimes you can´t tell whats going on. They also had exhibits on his dad and sister both of whom were musicians and composers in their own right, but they lived in the shadow of good ol´Wolfe so no noteriety for them. The house Mozart was born in is here too but we haven´t found it, we actually just stumbled onto the Wohnhaus because it was across the street from a sausage kart.

We also checked out this crazy fortress this morning that kept Salzburg safe in many battles. The fortress was only taken over once and it wasn´t by force. In 1800 Napoleon just kinda waltzed up and they handed it over.

On our way out of the castle we saw the most amazing group of buskers. 3 guys, one on a regular balalaika (russian mandolin) one on a bass balalaika and another on accordion. They were playing Eine Kleine Nachtmusik bz Mozart when we walked by and then they played some more Mozart stuff I couldn´t name, the overture to La Gazalladra by Verdi (insane bass part and this guy tore it up) and the last song we heard them play was The William Tell Overture, the only song they played that had a tempo issue and it was slight. They were all really skilled we think the accordion player was the mastermind because he didn´t look at his hands, it was nuts. He played all sorts or sixteenth note runs and arpeggios.

We are leaving for Budapest tomorrow where we are going to take a vacation from our vacation. Jack and I have been getting tired very early in the day so we figure with my Best Western Gift Card (thanks gail) we can get 2 nights in a hotel since one euro is worth 200 forints. We will finally be able to sleep in past 9 which will be nice.
Mack

Advertisement



7th July 2006

hahah
sausage cart
8th July 2006

SZERVUSZ
I was wondering when you'd slow down for a break! Don't sleep through the free breakfast at the BW (could be some sausage served.) Gail

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0278s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb