Austria


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Tyrol » Innsbruck
April 22nd 2006
Published: May 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

We flew from Oslo to Salzburg, then took a train to Innsbruck (via Bavaria).

The Alps are so close, feels like you can just touch them. We had difficulty finding our pension and after walking up a very steep hill with our packs and back down again we found that the pension has stopped dealing with our travel agent and had no booking for us. Again we had to spend a night in a dorm before going to our proper accommodation - hmmm, but that's what travelling is about.

The Glokenhuis, where we stayed was built in 1550 and was used to make bells that were well renowned. The large exposed pine roofing timbers in our room were the original beams, and yes they still hurt just as much when we bumped our heads on them.

We explored Innsbruck and saw an communion parade, complete with Austrian band. On day two we walked for nearly 2 hours up and up and up, via a very steep short cut, to discover that today was the day that the chairlifft we had hoped to take us further up the mountain to Nordpark chalet, had stopped operating till December - doh!!

We took a walk along the lower part of the mountain, along little tracks and walked to Enzianhutte and down to Caniusbrunnl. There were small alpine flowers along the way and some snow. We walked past farms and semi-rural areas, all very picturesque with lots of tulips and daffodils and farm animals. We estimate about 14klms - boy are we going to be sore tomorrow!

Yep we were right, have some sore muscles today! Luckily we spent the day on the train going to Vienna. Vienna is another amazing place, in the old part of town that dates back to the Hapsburg Empire the buildings are so huge, ornate with lots of statues. We visited some beautiful old churches and did lots of walking (again) looking the the city and the Danube River. There are some very interesting fashion statements here - bright colours and tight jeans and even velour track suits. Decided to leave Vienna a day early as there is rain forecast for the next few days.

Advertisement



3rd May 2006

good travel times
Ros and I try to do more walking b4 we leave to get some condition but those alps are tiring are'nt they, sounds just like Switzerland. Enjoy. Ps I am a pensioner as of today
3rd May 2006

Innsbruk
The Glokenhuis....exposed roofing timbers...bells ringing... bumping your heads.... humm... what were you doing? :) :) :)

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb