Norway


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Eastern Norway » Oslo
April 17th 2006
Published: April 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Arrived in Oslo at 3pm, temperature was 6 degrees, the customs were very welcoming ... and then we waited over an hour to retrieve our luggage at least it was all there! Norway has clean air, friendly people and we were lucky to have sunshine and clear skies 90% of the time.

Took the fast train to Oslo, then walked to our accommodation. Got there and found no booking for us (bugga), luckily they were able to accommodate us in a dorm. Accommodation in Norway has heated bathroom floors 😊

Next morning we took the train to Stavanger past snow covered hills and fast running streams - beautiful scenery. Stavanger is a fishing port with cobble stoned streets and old timber houses.

We left Stavanger by boat, travelling past islands, some with pine trees, others rocky and barren. There were small villages and towns. It rained a few times. Bergen is just stunning, surrounded by 7 mountains at the mouth of a fijord. We took the cable car to Mt Floyen for a fantastic view of the city. We walked through the city and its colourful architecture. Saw Bergen Badeland (like boy scouts) practising their marching to drums.

The next stage of our journey is reputed to be the most scenic train trip in the world and we can certainly back that reputation. We went along a fijord with still water lakes, little towns and lots of tunnels. We climbed up into the mountains, up through the snow line and then up above the treeline to snow covered mountains and ski lodges. It was a winter wonderland. Then the trip took us down the other side and onto Oslo.

Our last day in Norway was spent walking around Oslo, we visited the Viking Museum with ships and artefacts and the Vigeland Park with an amazing array of human statues.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



27th April 2006

Wishing were there
For a country that claims to have freedom as it's principle tenet the septics have some weird ways of showing it. Infringing everyone's personal freedom, treating every visitor to their country as a common criminal. I feel sorry for the poor bastards being coward into isolation like that. Good to see the Norwegians were more welcoming. I’ll be in France (Andrezieux) 8th to 11th and Rotterdam 12th to Monday 15th. My phone 0418771499 (Aus) should work. Camping trip was great, 50 bird species identified. Karen seems to have copped a bit of Ross river fever but it seems mild. We dug out a big stump because it wouldn’t burn so we decided that the other 20 to 30 stumps will become garden features and we kept drinking beer. Cheers Jan&Karen.

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb