In Innsbruck


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Tyrol » Innsbruck
August 19th 2007
Published: September 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

With the plan to head through to Austria, it was another early start to reach Innsbruck. Iz and I got the departure time wrong though, and were sitting in our room while everyone else was on the bus - whoops! Thankfully, the owner came looking for the key, found us, and let us know that the bus was ready to go…we got down those stairs fast!

It was good to stop after a couple of hours in Liechtenstein - still part of Switzerland. We didn’t expect there to be that much on - after all it was a Sunday morning and BLOODY early, but there was a little bricker brack market, so we took a stroll around that. It was set right below the intimidating castle that peers down from the hill over the town. I think there were quite a few bargain buys that we would have been able to re-sell back home (including a gorgeous child’s rocking horse) but we decided not to buy anything, and get something to eat before the next leg.

Just before getting back on the bus, with a few Swiss Franks left, Iz went to get his passport stamped (they aren’t very exciting to look at) and then it was on to Innsbruck. This is a fab little city is where the Swarovski Crystal Factory Outlet is, and I was keen to get something small. We had a quick introduction in the foyer, then it was down to the Winter Wonderland display - Cath, you would absolutely LOVE it here!

After a few photos, and a toilet stop, we made our way back upstairs to the shops. It was great fun browsing around, admiring all the different pieces of jewellery, and I finally managed to decide on buying a few things…well two.

I picked up a gorgeous ring and necklace - which will be much cheaper than the diamond version. I think Iz was happy we had bought up here, and not at the Diamond Outlet in Amsterdam! With my middle finger and neck BLINGING away, we went back out to the main street, and worked our way down the streets to Emperor Maximilian I shrine.

The shrine houses a HUGE tomb, which is surrounded by massive bronze statues of the people Maxi believed to be his ancestors. There is also a Silver Chapel upstairs from the shrine, which has very eerie wallpaper - child faces everywhere staring out at you, if they haven’t faded away.

A huge thunderstorm rolled in, and over, but we did get some heavy rain. Taking cover in a pub sounded like a good idea, and we couldn’t resist ordering the platter of sausages and frits. I especially like the Veal Bratwurst…strange considering I HATE veal at home…but here it tastes like chicken?

We didn’t have much time after lunch, and after taking a few quick photos of the famous Madonna and Child statue, with the mountains in the background, we headed back to the bus, for our next excursion - a horse and cart ride through the hills. Ziggy the driver was dressed in traditional Austrian clothing, and had the little green cap with the feather to the side. The horses were big and strong, and easily pulled the carriages laden with people.

It was lovely being driven through the forest and past the old farm houses…many with decorative gardens in full bloom. During the winter, the mountains are home to thousands of skiers, and it was interesting to see the slopes in summer…with all the tracks cut out through the trees. The aerial ski jump is still in use over the summer months - OUCH! Can you imagine the turf burn!

With a quick stop for a hot chocolate and a chat with Emerson and Anne, from the Philippines (who are on their honeymoon) it was back into the carriages for the ride home. There were a few more rolls of thunder, but we made it into the bus without getting wet, and back to our hotel, exhausted, but happy. A girl’s gotta smile with some sparklers on her finger!


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Make It YourselfMake It Yourself
Make It Yourself

Hot Chocolate!
Golden RoofGolden Roof
Golden Roof

Yes, that's REAL gold!


Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0746s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb