The Next 'Burg'


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
August 20th 2007
Published: September 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

There seem to be a lot of ‘Burgs’ in Germany - and this one you would definitely have heard of; it is the town where Mozart was born, and where they filmed scenes from the ‘Sound of Music’. It’s Salzburg! That was our destination today, but first we had to get there. This was pretty straight forward, considering it wasn’t too big a drive from Innsbruck.

We disembarked from the bus, two and a bit hours later, into the rain (I was wearing sandals - I always manage to have them on when it’s raining) and we headed into the famous filmed courtyard. I know that Simone would have loved seeing the sights before me (as she is a BIG ‘Sound of Music’ fan) and we did dress up as naughty nuns for her hen’s night! The courtyard was beautiful - full of flowers and statues that the Von Trappe children dance around during the song Doe, Rae, Me. If you don’t remember the scene, you’ll just have to watch the movie again.

We moved through the gardens, across the bridge, and into the home of Mozart. The place where he was born has been converted into a museum, and the streets don’t look as though they’ve changed much from those days. Mozart was a bit of a whiz kid, performing for royalty at the age of 6, and also composing his first song at this time - have you heard of ‘Twinkle Twinkle’? That’s Mozart for ya!

The museum was a bit disappointing, and didn’t really provide us with any information on the life and times of Mozart. Still, it was surreal to stand in the room where he was born, and listen to his music being piped through the halls. We were also really lucky to see a group of musicians busking, playing authentic instruments, and Mozart tunes.

We continued our walk up into the town square, which was also used in ‘The Sound of Music’ for the Nazi gathering, and behind this huge building, is the graveyard where the Von Trappe family hid, before making their escape. It was amazing walking around all these famous ‘scenes’ that were shot in the late 60’s. I was never really a huge fan of the film (even though I know all the songs) but this will definitely change that.

We had some more time to stroll the streets on our own, and get some tucker, before heading back to the bus, for our afternoon drive through more of Austria. I think it was fitting to play the movie on our way to Vienna, and interesting to see all the places where we had just been standing, on film! By late afternoon, we reached our hotel on the outskirts of Vienna, and Iz and I decided to give the extra activity a miss, and catch up on some blogging. We will explore the city tomorrow! I guess it’s - ‘So long, farewell’ - for now 😊



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Doe Rae Me Gardens 4Doe Rae Me Gardens 4
Doe Rae Me Gardens 4

Rugged up, but wearing thongs! Bad Choice!
Nazi Headquarters from the FilmNazi Headquarters from the Film
Nazi Headquarters from the Film

The flags hung from the walls in the background.


4th September 2007

The mojo's coming back
I can see it all now. Doe a deer a female deer, Ray a drop of golden sun, Me a name I call myself.... Shall I stop? I will get there one day the pics are great!!!

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0672s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb