On the road to Salzburg


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Salzburg
December 20th 2010
Published: January 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

The Melk Abbey ChurchThe Melk Abbey ChurchThe Melk Abbey Church

The Towers of the Church at Melk Abbey
Left a cold Vienna for Melk - a small town 1 hrs drive west and on the banks of the Danube River. This former Babenburg stronghold dating back to the 11th century was handed over to the Benedictines - who still run the complex which today offers schooling to more than 900 students from the 23 parishes surrounding Melk. The 2 most impressive features of the moastery are the library and the church - which has more than 4 kgs of gold leaf covering the religious statues and decorations in the church. Fter Melk, it was lunch, then the journey to Oberndorf, 30kms northwest of Salzburg, to have a private tour and performance of the carol "Silent Night" - which was first performed in the chapel of Oberndorf in 1818. This is truly a moving experience - as the carol is performed in both German and English by local singers/musicians. There was barely a dry eye in the chapel!
After check-in at our hotel, we prepared for the Mozart donner concert which is performed at the historic St. Peter'skeller, one of Europes oldest dated restaurants. What an unbelieveable day it was today!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Melk AbbeyMelk Abbey
Melk Abbey

The Church interior


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0634s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb