The Sound of Music


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Salzburg
February 1st 2006
Published: July 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Had a really funny flight over to Munich. I was working with this english guy Jamie and we got on like a house on fire. We were both in one of those really silly moods so after we finished the service we grabbed the onboard polaroid camera to amuse ourselves. We were obviously pretty bored so we decided to take pictures of ourselves pulling the most ridiculous faces, trying to look like absolute retards....it was so funny!! Then as most of the passengers were sleeping we thought it would be pretty funny to go out in the cabin and take pictures of unsuspecting passengers. We targeted the ones asleep with their mouths wide open, or men that were cuddled up next to other men beside them. It was such a laugh, we were laughing so hard i almost wet myself. After taking these photos we thought we'd just leave them on their tray table for when they woke up. Luckily most of the passengers had a pretty good sense of humour so hopefully weren't too offended.

Arrived into Munich in the afternoon, quickly got changed and went to the train station to go to central station. One of the things i love about munich is that it is in such a great location. It is so easy to jump on a train and go to one of the neighbouring countries. Jamie, another english girl and i decided we would go to Salzburg in Austria. This was always a place i had always wanted to go to after watching 'The Sound of Music' as a kid. Unfortunately i wouldn't be able to run through the daisy filled hills singing at the top of my voice like Julie Andrews as it was the middle of winter.

The train took 2 hours and by the time we got there, it was just starting to get dark. Stopped in at the tourist shop, bought some souvenirs and saw the Dom Cathedral and the Bishops Palace with the fountains covered over to protect it from the snow. Hohensalzburg Fortress overlooks the town. This castle dates back to the 10th century and was continuously extended until the 17th century. We went on a cable car which took us up and had a walk around. The views were amazing looking over the city. Went back down and walked through the old town which was a cobblestoned lane filled with various shops and restaurants. We stopped outside the house where Mozart was born in 1756. It was hard to believe this was where he grew up.

We were getting pretty hungry by this stage and cold so we found ourselves a pretty modern bar which seemed a little out of place in the old town and had a couple of drinks. We decided we would eat elsewhere so we found a quaint little restaurant which was in a little two storey house. We were all starting to fade away after having being awake for the last 22 hours so we made our way back to the station to catch our train back to Munich. This is definitely one of the places i want to go and see again. I imagine it would look quite different in the summer time. I still want to run through those hills singing at the top of my lungs!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 58; dbt: 0.1151s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb