The Hills are Alive...


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Salzburg
October 15th 2006
Published: January 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Julie Andrews, eat your heart out!Julie Andrews, eat your heart out!Julie Andrews, eat your heart out!

Heidi's "Sound of Music" pose. The old fortress, Festung Hohensalzburg sits on the hill.

Salzburg


We road with a van full of other people to get into Austria, then took a train to get to the city. Austria is a country that I've always wanted to visit, and the countryside couldn't have been more beautiful with the Alps towering in the distance. I just wanted to take photo after photo to capture it.



Salzburg is a small city, very walkable and clean, and we enjoyed our two days of sight-seeing. Of course, since "The Sound of Music" was filmed here we recognized many bridges, buildings, and squares, and tested each other of our movie knowledge 😊 We opted not to the the "tour" because it was a bit pricey for our liking! It was just all so "pretty", I guess that's the best way to describe it!

Some gorgeous churches, a fortress on a hill overlooking the city, the river, and the green landscape. Our only recommendation to other travelers would be to NOT stay at the YHA "youth and family" hostel here...clean, but you'd enjoy paying a bit more for somewhere else and not having to put up with loud teens!




Zell am See

A change in
Salzburg, the River SalzachSalzburg, the River SalzachSalzburg, the River Salzach

Gorgeous weather to wander this city. We kept recognizing places from the movie.
plans found us training to this small alpine village/ski resort town in the heart of the Alps. (Think Wanaka, New Zealand or Grand Lake, Colorado meets Vail, CO) We had no map or anything, only the name of the town. We found a darling pension with the best breakfast EVER (we tried to be the first ones down at 7am so we wouldn't miss out on anything!!) The scenery was breathtaking, and people friendly, and the fresh air just what we needed to relax for a few days. We went on hikes around the area, both up the mountains and around the lake. A few of the peaks were covered in snow already.

The fog would sit low over the lake in the morning but clear for sunny blue skies by noon. We read books and took naps (well, I did 😊 ate a few local dishes and drank the local beer. After travelling as fast as we have been, it was the perfect break.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Nonnberg AbbeyNonnberg Abbey
Nonnberg Abbey

Another film sight, this church is beautiful, inside and out.
Anyone recognize this?Anyone recognize this?
Anyone recognize this?

I can't remember the name of it, but this is featured in the movie.
A view across  the lake to Zell am See.A view across  the lake to Zell am See.
A view across the lake to Zell am See.

We walked around the lake one morning. You can't help but want to be outside, even with the colder temps!
Our little Pension HerzogOur little Pension Herzog
Our little Pension Herzog

We stayed here three nights in a town called Zell am See, a ski resort right on the lake.
Our room in Pension HerzogOur room in Pension Herzog
Our room in Pension Herzog

It included one of the best breakfasts we had our entire trip, and the couple who ran it were so friendly.
The ski slopes were right there.The ski slopes were right there.
The ski slopes were right there.

Obviously, no skiing, but we did a big hike up the mountain.
Zell am SeeZell am See
Zell am See

The town is small, with a central market and shopping area in the middle. Lots of restaurants and shops.


28th January 2007

Great photos
Great to seeall the photos of your travels.What's with the beard Dan?!Good to talk to you this morning and looking forward to next Thursday!

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb