Travel day to Salzburg


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Salzburg
May 14th 2024
Published: May 14th 2024
Edit Blog Post

Our day started with an early pickup by Pierina and Diego to take us to the station. So, a fond farewell to Elisa and Elias and a last look at our home for 5 days. We have been so lucky to stay on the vineyard and see the progress made on the house and farm since our last visit to Diego and Elisa's wedding. Now, the house renovations are mostly done, a shed has been demolished and a new one built. Mostly there is just landscaping around the house to complete. It's beautiful and the vines are looking good for a future harvest.
But like all holidays, it's time to move on.

Goodbyes and hugs all round, and we were off to Venice to connect to our more direct train to Salzburg. First the journey was flat, then into gently rolling as we left Udine in the north and then mountainous as we travelled through the alps via gorges, tunnels and viaducts. The mountains were spectacular with solid rock rising straight up for 1000's metres in some places. Wow!

Once in Salzburg, we found our hotel, fortunately close to the railway station, unpacked and headed off towards the Old Town about a kilometre's walk. Both Lynette and I have sore throats now, so we needed to get dosed up if we were going to get out and about. We did the usual touristy thing and sat outside somewhere and had beer and wine and people watched. Then later, dinner at a restaurant that gave us the biggest, best salad ever! There was everything in it. We need to put a comment in Facebook to recommend it. Tomorrow we'll go over the bridge and explore the Old Town properly.

It was a long journey on the train, but certainly an interesting one to do. We travelled first class where we had a large seating area and a table to use. Sometimes it's worth spending a little more, but certainly not on an aeroplane where they seem to go nuts with the price to give the pleasure of some extra space. Train travel anytime is better.




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Viaduct through the moutainsViaduct through the moutains
Viaduct through the moutains

On the Venice to Vienna train. We changed at Villach


14th May 2024

Lindsay recovered?
How is the old fella? Hope it's nothing serious but maybe with you having sore throats he's passed out on to you. Nice time of the year to travel. Look out for the Giro d Italia on your travels!

Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb