On to Salzburg


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Salzburg
September 5th 2023
Published: September 5th 2023
Edit Blog Post

SchoenbrunnSchoenbrunnSchoenbrunn

Can't see the palace for the butt!
Yesterday we spent most of the day at the Schoenbrunn Palace, Vienna's answer to Versailles. Originally the emperor used it as a summer palace, but the last few lived there full time, right up to the abdication of the last emperor in 1918. We toured the state rooms, which are highly decorative in an 18th/19th century way. Unfortunately, no photos allowed inside.

Like Versailles, the palace is surrounded by huge, beautifully designed grounds. We spent a couple of hours exploring the paths and looking in bemusement at the faux Roman ruins and strange fountains.

Back in central Vienna we had our best dinner yet at a (mainly) vegetarian restaurant. They did veg variations on some standard Austrian dishes, such as the mushroom schnitzel I had. Very delicious!

Today we took the train to Salzburg and spent the afternoon strolling through the old town. It has the typical winding streets of a medieval town but all the buildings have been given an 18th century façade and painted subtle pastel colours. Scattered around are huge Baroque churches, and high above is the brooding Festburg, a huge medieval castle.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

SchoenbrunnSchoenbrunn
Schoenbrunn

Fanciful idea of Roman ruins
SalzburgSalzburg
Salzburg

Baroque churches galore


Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb