Day 44 - How wide is it?


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Lower Austria
August 14th 2023
Published: August 14th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Per chance there was a concert on at the Abbey last night entitled "Game of Thrones". Musical scores from TV and film mostly, played to the organ and Violoncello. The artists were two brothers. The concert was in the Abbey church and was esquisite. While the music was amazing, it also gave me another chance to visit that amazing church again.
Today was another short ride, just 42kms to Krems an der Donau. We were away just after 8am, well fed from breakfast and enjoying the cooler air of the morning. We back tracked a little to cross a bridge over the Danube before turning east on the north bank heading towards Krems.
We have been speculating about how wide the Danube is. Today we measured it with our bike computers while crosg the bridge and were surprised by what we found.
While the ride today had us almost on the river bank we were, for a lot of the way, just off enough to have to go through all of the little villages that are dotted along the river. These villages go to so much effort to look "authentic old" it is a real credit to them. They all have a church of some level of grandeur but it's the cafes and homes and shop fronts and cobbled streets that add the extra level of authenticity. Mix in the grape vines and orchards around them and it is a wonderful display of how villages would have looked.
The day is hot again (32C). We are finished the days riding by 11:30am and very glad for it. We can hide out of the sun and enjoy the town of Krems. We did consider that we were taking things a bit too easy but put into context of having already ridden over 2300kms and another 2000kms to go, we think we can live with that.
Tomorrow we travel to Tulln
Distance travelled today: 42kms
Distance travelled so far: 2,398kms

And how wide is the Danube at Melk? Why don't you guess in fb comments and I'll say higher or lower. To make it a bit more challenging, You can have as many guesses as you want but they can't be consecutive guesses.
Winner will get a copy of the blog when I turn it into a book (if they want it).


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Churches in the small townsChurches in the small towns
Churches in the small towns

Only seems to be the left half?
Those churches again.Those churches again.
Those churches again.

Always high up on a hill
Ah, No comment.Ah, No comment.
Ah, No comment.

Not sure what it is.
Out of place?Out of place?
Out of place?

New age building in old age Krem. Hmm?


Tot: 0.596s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.2943s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb