Belize


Advertisement
Central America Caribbean
February 21st 2017
Published: February 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Left before the sun had risen in a Taxi heading one hour from our campsite to the Belize border. Our dilema was FMM cards ( Mexico Visa). they do not let you leave without turning them in and with Vehicles registered to names in tag with FMM cards, that creates a huge problem. But as the Mexican way a little payoff lets you go. Once Cleared we headed for Orange walk town the 4th largest town in the nation of Belize with 13,400.In the days of the Maya civilization, the area was known as Holpatin. The district is home of the biggest Maya temple of the pre classic period. The Maya of the area came in contact with the Europeons in the 1530,safter which the two groups fought over land. In 1848, there was a massive influx of Maya and Mestizos from Mexico, fleeing the castle war of Yucatan 1847-1901. This caused a rapid growth of population.

From there we hopped on a river cruise to Lamanai. Along the way we encountered birds, crocs , bats and beautiful vegetation being the lowlands.

Stopped at Lamanai (sumerged crocadile) ruins. At one time was the major city of the Maya civilization. Lamanai is renowned for its exceptionally long occupation spanning three millenia, beginning in the early Preclassic Maya period continuing through the spanish and British colonial periods, into the 20th century. Unlike most of the classic period sites in the southern Maya lowlands, Lamanai was not abandoned at the end of the 10th century AD.

In the 16th century over a period the site became abandoned after the influence of Europeons and the fast death from chicken poc and Yellow fever. The site was then incorporated by the british in the britsih honduras, passing the colony's independence to Belize. Then then developed a Sugar mill still in existence today but operated by a colony of menonites.


Additional photos below
Photos: 48, Displayed: 23


Advertisement





Tot: 0.449s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0701s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb